.410 deer hunting? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > .410 deer hunting?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fupuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Grand Rapids,Michigan
Posts: 1,672
Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I have no problem getting him a 20ga for hunting. I just figured hes been shooting this particular shotgun for almost two years and is a pretty good shot for being as old as he is. We may just have to go shotgun hunting in the next couple months. Im in need of a better hunting shotgun and may have to get him one also. Plus the wife could use a 20ga for deer hunting next year. Thank for the help, normally deer around where I hunt are 120-150lbs so the .410 may not be the most ethical hunting rifle. But Michigan is trying to pass a law that would (in short story mode) make it legal to basically use a revolver round in a rifle, in the shotgun zone. There is more than that in the law but I hope you understand what im trying to say. So I may just have to get a .44mag lever action and get him a .357mag lever action. Only time will tell.
fupuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
1911love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,488
Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I have no problem getting him a 20ga for hunting. I just figured hes been shooting this particular shotgun for almost two years and is a pretty good shot for being as old as he is. We may just have to go shotgun hunting in the next couple months. Im in need of a better hunting shotgun and may have to get him one also. Plus the wife could use a 20ga for deer hunting next year. Thank for the help, normally deer around where I hunt are 120-150lbs so the .410 may not be the most ethical hunting rifle. But Michigan is trying to pass a law that would (in short story mode) make it legal to basically use a revolver round in a rifle, in the shotgun zone. There is more than that in the law but I hope you understand what im trying to say. So I may just have to get a .44mag lever action and get him a .357mag lever action. Only time will tell.
IMI makes a nice .357mag pump action.
1911love is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #23
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 3,168
Liked 2103 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 11850

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I know its legal in Michigan to hunt with a .410, and hes comfortable with shooting it. Hes probably got more rounds down range in that thing than I do. What type of shells did you use to take that deer? And like I said im gonna keep the shot under 50yards and belive it will do the job very well with a good shot placement.
2 and 1\2 inch slug, I forget what the weight is on them. Proper shot placement is vital. If you can find slugs in 3 inch, I would go that route. Michigan deer are larger than their southern family members.
__________________
Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 3,168
Liked 2103 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 11850

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have to disagree with the 410 being more powerful than a 44 mag. Most are at least equal but a 6" 44 mag shooting a factory loaded Buffalo Bore 240 grain is 970 ft lbs while a 24" 410 1/5 oz Rem slug is 704 ft lbs, 1/4 oz Win & Fed is 722 ft lbs. The Brenneke Silver 114 gr @ 1065 ft lbs is the only one to surpass the 44 mag pistol however bump the 44 mag up to a rifle and you get a 300 fps jump. The 357 mag in rifle will easily out perform a 410 with a 158 grain bullet at 1900+ fps. I posted a link below to some shotgun test results. I am not saying the 410 wont do the job.

http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/slugtest/
http://www.ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php
Thank you JTJ. I was misinformed somewhere along the line, and I now stand corrected. A definite case of GIGO on my part.
__________________
Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coopertrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 87
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Opinions are like *******s... Everybody's got em, everybody you talk to will probably tell you something different when it comes to unethical deer hunting, truth is, with the right shot placement a .410 will be fine, you can kill anything with any caliber or bullet you want, it comes down to shot placement in my opinion when it comes to being unethical, now granted I wouldn't take a .22 LR and go pop a couple rounds off at a lion or something, but back to the topic... .410 will be fine
coopertrooper is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

A Super X 3" 410 slug has 788 ft lb of energy at the muzzle.
http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/SHOTSHELL-AMMUNITION/Performance/Super-X-Shotshell/Pages/X413RS5.aspx

Many 410 shotguns are chambered for 3 1/2" shells. I haven't seen any 3 1/2" slugs listed. That doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,714
Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

I would check all the sporting goods stores for deals this week Academy has a nice rossi 20 ga on sale. Im sure a few others have deals on 22-250 and 243s. My first deer was with a 222 rem it was a over under 222 rem/20 ga savage and I was like 9. I personally wouldnt use a 410 on a deer for most of the same reasons stated above but also because 410 ammo is more like a fairy tail around these parts now.
seancslaughter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fupuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Grand Rapids,Michigan
Posts: 1,672
Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A Super X 3" 410 slug has 788 ft lb of energy at the muzzle.
http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/SHOTSHELL-AMMUNITION/Performance/Super-X-Shotshell/Pages/X413RS5.aspx

Many 410 shotguns are chambered for 3 1/2" shells. I haven't seen any 3 1/2" slugs listed. That doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Im pretty sure mine is chambered for 3" only. I will have to double check on that, thanks for the info.
fupuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,714
Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Dicks has remington ADLs for $399 now. Gander Mtn has several youth 20 gauges for $299 or less. The flyer says they have Mosin 91/30 for $129 also and Rem model 770 for $299. I would just go grab one of those and make it a christmas present.
seancslaughter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fupuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Grand Rapids,Michigan
Posts: 1,672
Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Dicks has remington ADLs for $399 now. Gander Mtn has several youth 20 gauges for $299 or less. The flyer says they have Mosin 91/30 for $129 also and Rem model 770 for $299. I would just go grab one of those and make it a christmas present.
If I do it will not be today, I didnt even get up to go hunting this morning. I'm defenitly not getting up to go shopping. It will have to wait, but thank you for the help.
fupuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.308 for deer hunting? running_fool General Rifle Discussion 30 02-10-2013 07:27 PM
Deer hunting MyRawTalent Hunting Forum 23 11-04-2012 01:13 AM
Deer Hunting with AK 47 heiztdiz AK & SKS Discussion 31 09-30-2012 12:17 AM
Deer hunting with a sks xxbrooksxx General Rifle Discussion 24 08-31-2012 03:49 AM