.410 deer hunting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > .410 deer hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .410 deer hunting?

My son will be old enough to hunt deer next year and considering letting him use my dads old single shot .410, everyone ive talked to says .410 is unethical because of its lack of power. Im not thinking 100yard shots, like 50 yards or less. Ive found 1/5 oz slugs and 1/4 oz slugs. Thats right around 88gr-109gr, why would that be an unethical firearm with the right shot placement? Any insight would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
My son will be old enough to hunt deer next year and considering letting him use my dads old single shot .410, everyone ive talked to says .410 is unethical because of its lack of power. Im not thinking 100yard shots, like 50 yards or less. Ive found 1/5 oz slugs and 1/4 oz slugs. Thats right around 88gr-109gr, why would that be an unethical firearm with the right shot placement? Any insight would be appreciated.
I have been trying to figure that one out for years. I think it is because too many meatheads try to shoot a .410 like it's a 12 gauge. I took my first deer in NC with my F.I.E. .410 at about 20 yards with a 2.5 inch slug. Popped both lungs, and he was down and done within 50 yards.

What most people do not understand is yes, the .410 is the smallest shotgun, but it still has more power than a .44 Magnum when it exits the barrel. Would I use mine out past 40 yards? No, but anything closer with the right load in the shotgun is not a problem.

Fupuck. If you son is comfortable with the .410, and it is legal in your area, go for it. I would use mine up here, but our game laws strictly forbid big game hunting with a shotgun smaller than a 20 gauge.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

I have been trying to figure that one out for years. I think it is because too many meatheads try to shoot a .410 like it's a 12 gauge. I took my first deer in NC with my F.I.E. .410 at about 20 yards with a 2.5 inch slug. Popped both lungs, and he was down and done within 50 yards.

What most people do not understand is yes, the .410 is the smallest shotgun, but it still has more power than a .44 Magnum when it exits the barrel. Would I use mine out past 40 yards? No, but anything closer with the right load in the shotgun is not a problem.

Fupuck. If you son is comfortable with the .410, and it is legal in your area, go for it. I would use mine up here, but our game laws strictly forbid big game hunting with a shotgun smaller than a 20 gauge.
I know its legal in Michigan to hunt with a .410, and hes comfortable with shooting it. Hes probably got more rounds down range in that thing than I do. What type of shells did you use to take that deer? And like I said im gonna keep the shot under 50yards and belive it will do the job very well with a good shot placement.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #4

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Obviously the 410 will kill deer (I shot my first deer with one). But it is a very light deer round. So why take a chance? They shoot a slug of the same weight as a 380 bullet. The rule of thumb for deer cartridges is an energy of 1000 ft lb or more and the 410 is less than 800.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

If you are close enough.....................

When all else fails.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Liked 2196 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 478

It's going to come down to judgement like in muzzleloader and archery hunting. It's going to be about picking a shot that is going to be as close to a sure thing as possible.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1604 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 557

My neighbors kid is 14 this year. He is hunting in the woods behind his house alone this year. So far he has killed three does and a seven point. He has a 243 Handi rifle and a Ruger 22/45. The first couple does he killed it sounded like WWII. He drilled both does right in the neck. Everytime the deer twitched he popped the deer in the head with the 22/45. I gave him a Cold Steel fixed blade knife to cut their throat. The knife saved a lot of hard to find 22LR ammo. The first deer he killed alone you could grab it's ears and stretch it's head.

When he killed the seven point once I got the skinning started he finished skinning the deer himself. He isn't ready to butcher a deer. Next season his father won't be working 50/60 hours a week. He will learn much faster with the patience of his father.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 857 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I personally would never consider using a .410 anything on such a noble animal as the whitetail deer!
If its worth harvesting its worth doing it right! The .410 slug has much less energy than the .45 lc and on par with the 9mm.
Can it kill a deer sized animal? Yes it can, is it ethical? Not by my standards! Sometimes its about whats right and not can I.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
My neighbors kid is 14 this year. He is hunting in the woods behind his house alone this year. So far he has killed three does and a seven point. He has a 243 Handi rifle and a Ruger 22/45. The first couple does he killed it sounded like WWII. He drilled both does right in the neck. Everytime the deer twitched he popped the deer in the head with the 22/45. I gave him a Cold Steel fixed blade knife to cut their throat. The knife saved a lot of hard to find 22LR ammo. The first deer he killed alone you could grab it's ears and stretch it's head.

When he killed the seven point once I got the skinning started he finished skinning the deer himself. He isn't ready to butcher a deer. Next season his father won't be working 50/60 hours a week. He will learn much faster with the patience of his father.
I'd like to nominate you for neighbor of the year.

My neighbor let my kid take a part in butchering a deer recently. I didn't know until he showed up back at the house covered in blood. I wasn't happy.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #10

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The first couple does he killed it sounded like WWII.
LOL! Love the analogy, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm all for a quick ethical kill, but the way you described it wouldn't let me hold back the laughter.