410 balistics - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

410 balistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 230 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
i just dont agree with shoot to kill. if you think about it. would you stick around the place if you were shot? or would you want to get away and live. if someone is shot they are probably going to run out the door. = successful home defence
If you have kids then you will shoot to stop,center mass,if someone has the gall to break into my house with a gun and it's his life or my kids or mine,he's going to get 9-15 pellets of 00 buck from my 12 gauge,I am not going to have my family's life on my hands,it was his decision to be shot,not mine.By the way,if you want to have alot of stopping power with less liklyhood the BG will die,any shotgun is not a good idea.2 center mass hits with a .45 will stop him,and statistics show that 80% of all handgun shootings are non life threatening.

Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #12

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
i just dont agree with shoot to kill. if you think about it. would you stick around the place if you were shot? or would you want to get away and live. if someone is shot they are probably going to run out the door. = successful home defence
You shoot to end the threat to your life or the life of your family...period. If that ends in death that's not your fault, the BG chose his course of action, you responded in self defense. If you cannot deal with that in a mature and rational manner then I suggest that you keep the gun in a closet until you can. I am not trying to be an a-hole, it's just that hesitation in a life or death situation can cost you your life. Just remember, a dying man can still pull a trigger or stick a knife in you...a dead one cannot.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #13

Hey,just out of curiousity,what kind of .410 is it?Break action single,pump,semi auto?
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #14

its a break action i use it for trap. not a home defence firearm. if you had a pump 410 i think it would be fine with magnum rounds #5 bird shot and a few slugs just my opinion.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #15

If you have any doubts about the ability of the .410 to seriously do harm, then please read the following article. This was from a serial shooter in the Phoenix area about 5 years ago. His weapon of choice was the .410.

6 deaths linked to shooting spree

Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #16

Quote:
its a break action i use it for trap. not a home defence firearm. if you had a pump 410 i think it would be fine with magnum rounds #5 bird shot and a few slugs just my opinion.
There are a few .410 pumps out there,not alot of choices and birdshot is more than twice the price for 410 vs 12 gauge.Ammo is limited in .410 for buckshot,slugs and heavy shot,as where you can find alot of light loaded 2-3/4" 12 gauge ammo that will give you the same effect of a 3" .410,maybe even less lethal cause the 12 will spread smaller shot out more.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10731 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 1751

Not to be throwing rocks at anyone, but there is no humane, guaranteed non-lethal way of shooting anybody with ANYTHING that fires a metallic projectile. Even police beanbag rounds are marked LESS LETHAL, not NON LETHAL.

If I shoot out your femoral, brachial, or subclavian artery (inside thigh, arm, collarbone) you will likely die of blood loss MOST ricky-tick. Shooting at moving people under less than ideal circumstances is MUCH harder than punching the X on a B-40 silhouette at 7 yds in nice sunshine.

If I have to shoot someone, it will be because they have placed me in fear of my life, and I will continue to shoot until THAT has changed. I may be overly cautious, but I damned well plan to be the OLDEST overly cautious kid on the block.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #18

i like your views. i never thought of it that way. and i did not think about those arteries. there is always a risk of dying if your shot. i guess my point was busted :P

Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #19

One additional note(and I am sure I read it on another Forum post here) is that some states(lesser states imho) do not allow you to use lethal force(which is as you now know could be just about any firearm) unless you are in fear of your life or loved ones. Shooting to hopefully wound only is a consideration that maybe you were not that worried or were not threatened enough shoot to kill. I am hoping I worded this as I intended. lol.

Also, I have an old old old Stevens 410 that I love to plink with.

Newest Threads