410 balistics

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 410 balistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 410 balistics

i wents shooting yesterday in the hot arizona desert and i took my winchester model 37A youth in 410. based on the life like manikin we shot. ''chest and head'' it seems like the 410 is a fine home defence and a self defence firearm. when we shot the manikin the blew off the stand and rolled all the way down a hill. all of the bird shot going all the way through the head and chest. if you were in the home defence scenario and you hit someone with the 410 #6 shot with 3" shells it will knock them off there feet. but with the buck shot it will just travel through the body with no knockdown power. if a man on drugs breaks into your house it most likely will not work. i was supprised with how much force the #6 shot put on the manikin. it literaly flew off the stand and did 4 or 5 flips in the air before it hit the ground. then it rolled down a hill. what do you guys think of it as a home defence firearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
i wents shooting yesterday in the hot arizona desert and i took my winchester model 37A youth in 410. based on the life like manikin we shot. ''chest and head'' it seems like the 410 is a fine home defence and a self defence firearm. when we shot the manikin the blew off the stand and rolled all the way down a hill. all of the bird shot going all the way through the head and chest. if you were in the home defence scenario and you hit someone with the 410 #6 shot with 3" shells it will knock them off there feet. but with the buck shot it will just travel through the body with no knockdown power. if a man on drugs breaks into your house it most likely will not work. i was supprised with how much force the #6 shot put on the manikin. it literaly flew off the stand and did 4 or 5 flips in the air before it hit the ground. then it rolled down a hill. what do you guys think of it as a home defence firearm?
Excellent if you are attacked by a 20 lb mannequin. Seriously, if all you have is a .410 it will be more than enough to deter any bad guy...I prefer a 12 ga, just in case.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 AM   #3

well after seeing what the 410 can do... i would not want to be on the recieving end of it. it hits very hard and all the shot went all the way through the head and chest. the buck shot was dissapointing though i was expecting a little more punch

Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Shooting at inanimate objects gives you a rough idea of the power, force and penetration a given cartridge may produce, but the results are only applicable to what ever object you are shooting. It will not behave that way in a different type of matter.

The only test you can produce accurate and "real world" applicable results for is (for shotguns) pattern spread. You can tell what a given cartridge is going to do at a certain distance.

The reason the buckshot didn't "knock down" the dummy is because the velocity is usually higher in buck shot and it simply traveled through the material fast enough not to "push" it like the hundreds of little BBs did in the bird shot. Chances are the BBs didn't even travel through the dummy so all of the force stayed with in the mass, so it had to move.

Have you ever "knocked down" a piece of paper when target shooting? No, because the bullet travels through with out disturbing the rest of the object, only the impacted area.

You can't test effectiveness of a round unless you put it into similar matter. Sorry man.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally would not reach for my 410 unless it was all I had left. In recent years (thank you judge) people have tried to turn the 410 into something it's not, a SD round. They've dressed it up and made it better but it is still a weak choice, in 2.5 or 3", even when loaded with buckshot or a slug.
I wouldn't want to be on the business end of one either but I'll keep mine for plinking and the occasional small game.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

the thing is with the 12 ga. is you will kill the person on the recieving side then you will have a life on your hands. if you shoot there leg they will either bleed out or lose there leg. where ever you hit them it does so very much damage. all you need to do is disable them. untill the police get there. a leg shot with the 410 at close range might put them on the ground. with minimal damage. all you need to do is get the bad guy down. not kill him. or make him lose a limb, nobody deserves that. thats my opinion

-mike-

Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have serious doubts that 410 buckshot would pass right through a human body,but even if it did you can't say that it wouldn't deposit most of it's energy and cause serious trauma,a 3" 00 buck from a long gun is close to the equivelent of 5 .22 magnums from a pistol hitting at once,so it's going to do some damage.A 3" slug could very well go through a body,but even so it is going to probably drop a man.Birdshot will do alot of damage within maybe 6 feet,but after that,it won't penetrate enough to ensure a stop.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
the thing is with the 12 ga. is you will kill the person on the recieving side then you will have a life on your hands. if you shoot there leg they will either bleed out or lose there leg. where ever you hit them it does so very much damage. all you need to do is disable them. untill the police get there. a leg shot with the 410 at close range might put them on the ground. with minimal damage. all you need to do is get the bad guy down. not kill him. or make him lose a limb, nobody deserves that. thats my opinion

-mike-
Sorry but this is just silly.

If I ever get in a situation where I need to defend my home - I could care less about the health of the BG. Shooting to wound will get you dead in a hurry. You shoot to stop the threat and I want something that will reliably stop that threat...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

-mike-
Who the heck would shoot just to wound? If I am FORCED to shoot someone, let's say an armed burglar, I don't want them able to shoot back, I don't want them able to tell anyone later, I don't want them to break into someone else's home and threaten their family six months later, I don't want them able to sue me,etc etc....get the point?

I would NEVER aim at a bad guy's legs or arms, EVER. That's just bad advice right there.

By the way, if you want to do more realistic testing use wet newspaper bundles. Have them soak and wet, overnight, bound tightly, and 12-15inches thick. Then layer it with denim. I suspect you will change your mind about the .410.

The .410 is the .25acp of shotguns.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #10

i just dont agree with shoot to kill. if you think about it. would you stick around the place if you were shot? or would you want to get away and live. if someone is shot they are probably going to run out the door. = successful home defence