Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > .410

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .410

Why is the .410 so underrated?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #2

Probably due to the cost per round, available load density under 1oz and the reduced pattern size of the smaller shell.

A properly fitted 12 or 20 ga will have less felt recoil with a proper pad and forcing cones back bored......and deliver an oz of shot or more.

Its not under rated, just under sized.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #3

The .410 is underrated cuz this is America where bigger is better. There is nothing wrong with the 410, I have used one for everything from whitetails to rabbits, You just need to know that it is limited ballisticly and use it accordingly.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"] IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, CAN WE USE SWORDS?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #4

Default .410

I spose it's how you look at it, most of up started out with a .410 for ovious reasons, but to tell the truth I think peolpe got it backwards, I personaly feel that the .410 is if anything a round for the highly advanced shooter (Hunter) The reason I feel this way is you have to be a really great shot to place such a small amount of pellets into said target, you are only dealing with a third of the power of a 12 gauge and depending on amount of shot a quarter to a third of as much shot, and a reduced range compaired to a 12 gauge, for these reasons you must be an advanced shooter, realisticly the .410 is a perfect shotgun for small game as it dose not destroy meat, and you do not spend half an hour picking out shot from your meat, as with anything shot placement is everything, I did drop a eight pointer 188lb buck last year with a .410 it never took even one step but thats because I shot it in the brain bucket at 43 yards, I feel even with shot placement the round is a little underguned for deer, But the state of Indiana says other wise. The .410 is perfect to start out youngsters on but should be interduced to a 20 gauge just as soon as physically possible, for hunting perposses the .410 should be used by dad and grandpa. Just my thoughts!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #5

Default 410/45 long colt

I to like the 410.
Like to camp with the wife and kids. Would like to get a 410 snake charmer for snake and such. Would like to make my camping gear as easy as possible. Can you shot a 45 long colt from that single shot shotgun? I know you can from some of the newer models. Not worried about the accuracy, if they're close enough to cause me worry they are close enough to hit. BTW, what 45 would you suggest.
thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #6

Default love the 410

I think they are great. In the past two years I have collected mostly remington and browning 410's and will for a good while longer. I like the older 1100 (pre 1980) nib.
1100 410 1979 nib
1100 410 1980
870 410 1978 nib
browning 42 grade 5 410 nib 2 of these 1991
browning superposed 410 nib 1974
browning citori grade 3 410 nib
winchester 37 410

need winchester 23 410 and 42 410

Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #7

Some years ago I used to shoot skeet league at my rod and gun club. We had a guy who would be a substitute shooter for when one of us couldn't make it. Seems he'd been state champ in the 50's or 60's in California. His gun? I think it was a model 48 or 58 remington semi-auto in 410. He usually scored no less than 23/25 and more often shot 49 or 50/50.

If you can get shot on target, it's about as good as any other scattergun out there..

Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if ya shoot sporting clays like me you need every pellet you can squease into a shell lol

Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 410 is fine for some uses, but a terrible choice for others. These little guns are so cute, especially in a sleek side x side, that one can't help envisioning himself as being a much better shooter if he could only possess one of those little magic wands; but the truth is that few people can consistently shoot a 410 well. I have owned several 410's, a bolt action (my first gun) and various side x sides and over/unders; of the lot, only one (a Winchester Pigeon Grade 101) patterned consistently well. I shot these guns regularly and could consistently shoot 90 x 100 in registered skeet competitions (which was OK, but the winners typically shot 98-99x100; or 100 straights, although all used heavy guns with 410 tube inserts or multi-barrelled sets with 410 barrels the same weight as the 12-bore set).
With #9 shot, a good patterning 410 performs well on clay targets and plantation quail out to about 30 yards. The 410 will also kill larger game (rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, etc) at shorter ranges; but will never perform the job as well, or as consistently as a larger bore. Seldom will a 410 pattern the larger shot sizes (#4,5,6, and many times 71/2) required for many small game animals/birds well enough to be a reliable game killer in the hands of the vast majority of shooters; and the 410's small/tight/often patchy patterns make the 410 a terrible choice to start a young shooter who is only encouraged by successes, not repeated misses. If someone wishes to start a youngster or lady with a small bore, the 28-bore is a much better choice as it recoils like a 410 and patterns like a 20 bore. Obviously many readers will take issue with my opinion as there are those advanced shooters who shoot trap (and even wild geese and turkeys with head shots at very short range) with a 410; but those guys are the experts who have shot thousands of rounds of 410 and have developed a pet load that will perform well for their intended purpose in their pet gun, and are also self-disciiplined to limit shooting within pre-determined shorter ranges. Every year much game is wounded and lost by a shooter using a 410 that would be recovered by the same shooter had he been using a larger bore shotgun. Will a 410 break a targer, or kill a game bird as far away as a 12-bore? Absolutely, all it takes is one pellet in the kill zone. Will a 410 consistently break targets or take game birds at the same longer ranges one can expect of the 12-bore? Absolutely not. Obviously opinions are much like ass holes, everybody has one; but what I am sharing here is based on personal experience. I love shotguns and have extensively used every bore size from 410 to 10. Everyone of those guns was fun to "play" with, but whenever I was real serious about a good score, or the weight of my game bag, I used a 12-bore. It will take any game animal/bird one can hunt, and will do the job much more efficiently than any of the the other bore sizes (a 10 is better for large birds; but few shooters use a 10-bore often enough to use it proficiently). The 12-bore can be loaded up or down for whatever game one wishes to pursue; and in some models can be made a light as most 410s. I have a six-pound 12-bore side x side with which I enjoy shooting perserve quail and upland game in tight cover. With this gun I use a petite, and very easy to carry, 2" 12-bore shell loaded with 11/16 ounce of shot. This is the same shot load one will find in a 3" 410, yet the 12-bore will out-perform the 410 every time as regards pattern consistency. In shotgunning, an evenly dispersed shot pattern equates to greater shooter success every time. As to the 410, I don't think it under rated by the vast majority of serious shooters, but rather that these same shooters recognize this round for what it actually is; too limited to ever be as effective as any of the larger bore sizes under the vast majority of field situations the shooter will encounter.