Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   3 gun shotty (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/3-gun-shotty-38811/)

jwhirl413 02-22-2011 11:22 AM

3 gun shotty

So I am wanting to do three gun competitions and I'm looking for an auotloader. I have it narrowed to a couple choices.
Benelli m1 super 90/ m4 or
FN Herstal SLP
Do any of you have experience with either and know of any advantages/disadvantages of the two. I dont think I could go wrong with either but seeing as neither of these two are very cheap I'd like to make the best decision possible.
Main reason for this gun like i said is for 3 gun, but it will also serve some role as a HD shotgun.
Also what type of sights do you suggest, aftermarket, or the stock sights?

jwhirl413 02-22-2011 04:38 PM

One other thing I forgot to ask, The FN comes in an 18" and 22" package, th 18" is 6+1 and the 22" is 8+1. Is the added weight worth the extra 2 rounds, and how much do you think the extra 4" will affect accuracy?

buckhorn_cortez 02-22-2011 07:24 PM

Go to the Brian Enos forums. You'll find most people are using the FN SLP with the 22-inch barrel for 3-gun because the magazine holds more rounds. The FN 18 and 22-inch barrels use Invector chokes (the longer barrels use Invector +). For 3-gun or home defense, go to the Briley Choke website and get the INVXBP (Invector extended, ported, black oxide) in a Diffusion Choke (0.005 constriction from a cylinder bore) and it will also be rifled. Choke works with bird shot, buckshot, or slugs. Good for a range up to 25 yards with buckshot or birdshot, and very accurate to 75 yards with a slug.

Factory sights work fine.

If you get the FN, send it to SRM Performance in Meridian, ID. Have them put the Sure Cycle system in it, lap the bolt, due a reliability tune-up, and modify the gas pistons.

Had them do mine, and it will run any load 1oz and larger with the heavy gas piston. The Sure Cycle system helps reduce recoil and improves bolt return (speed). Much easier to keep on target for follow-up shots.

I also have a 28-inch barrel that I use for trap. Takes about 1 minute to change barrels.

M14sRock 02-23-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez (Post 451183)
Go to the Brian Enos forums. You'll find most people are using the FN SLP with the 22-inch barrel for 3-gun because the magazine holds more rounds. The FN 18 and 22-inch barrels use Invector chokes (the longer barrels use Invector +). For 3-gun or home defense, go to the Briley Choke website and get the INVXBP (Invector extended, ported, black oxide) in a Diffusion Choke (0.005 constriction from a cylinder bore) and it will also be rifled. Choke works with bird shot, buckshot, or slugs. Good for a range up to 25 yards with buckshot or birdshot, and very accurate to 75 yards with a slug.

Factory sights work fine.

If you get the FN, send it to SRM Performance in Meridian, ID. Have them put the Sure Cycle system in it, lap the bolt, due a reliability tune-up, and modify the gas pistons.

Had them do mine, and it will run any load 1oz and larger with the heavy gas piston. The Sure Cycle system helps reduce recoil and improves bolt return (speed). Much easier to keep on target for follow-up shots.

I also have a 28-inch barrel that I use for trap. Takes about 1 minute to change barrels.

This says it all.

I have never warmed up to the Benelli shotguns.

TimL2952 02-23-2011 05:33 AM

go with FN, theyre tanks. and get the 22" the extra shots are really worth the weight...it decreases the amount of times you need to load and therefore your overall time

jwhirl413 02-23-2011 09:52 PM

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll have a new gun a week or so:D

jwhirl413 02-28-2011 11:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I went by Lawman's supply in raleigh, nc and picked up my first semi auto shotgun. Got it home and cleaned it up from the shipping lube and this thing feels awesome. I was going to try to get a couple rounds through her, but the dang bottom fell out of the sky. Hopefully it will be dry enough tomorrow to test it out. Now I'm ready for 3 gun in 2 weeks, cant friggin wait. Anyway here are a few picks.