Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 28inch barrel no choke.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A slug barrel is rifled. If it's not rifled not a slug barrel. Now that that clears up confusion I'm sure everyone would be behind your pattern.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #22

What models of guns have rifled slug barrels? The ones I have seen do not. The Ithaca Model 37 slug gun's bore is as smooth as the proverbial baby's behind, for example. It does have rifle type sights on it and there the comparison ends. There are rifled choke tubes that are designed to actually open up shot patterns. These tubes are actually designed to deform some of the shot, thus causing the pattern to spread. In fact, cheap soft shot is what causes patterns in tightly choked guns to open up and pattern more like a true modified or IC choke. Rifled choke tubes are not designed to have anything to do with applying spin to a slug, despite some marketing claims. The so called rifling on a rifled slug is just there for looks and to make uninformed shooters believe their slugs will be more accurate because of the spin caused by the rifling. The slugs don't spin at all. What this "rifiling" does is to allow the slug to be squeezed down some when it hits the choke constriction. If a "slug" barrel is rifled, it's there for looks too as the slug does not make enough contact w/ the barrel to impart much spin. Because many citizens will use slugs in full choke guns, the slugs are made slightly undersized to accomodate the choke.
cottontop

Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #23

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

I'm sorry, but this CAN be done consistantly using the right ammo. Get a copy of Bob Brister's book, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science." He explains how this is possible. Also, another good one is "The Shotgun Book," by Michael McIntosh. McIntosh tells of an incident where he and some shooting chronies backed up to well over 40 yards and were consistently breaking trap targets w/ wide open skeet chokes. I once knew an old man back in Michigan when I was a kid who was known to be a deadeye on long distance pheasants. He had an old Model 12 that he claimed had a very tight choke and that's what enabled him to bust those long distance birds. One day a bunch of guys talked the old man into letting them pattern the gun. At 40 yards it patterned even, but very wide, like a cylinder bore. The old guy was furious. He took it to a local gunsmith and had the choke measured. It had no choke at all. It seems that a few years before, it was accidentally run over by a hay wagon and the first few inches of the barrel had been cut off. The old guy didn't know this at the time but the previous owner confessed.
Believe what you want, I know what I saw. Do some patterning w/ different chokes and shells and you will see what I mean.
cottontop
Ok its easier to bust sleet and trap a over 40 yards than it is to kill a pheasant it only takes 1 bb to bust a flat pigeon but to kill a pheasant it takes more than one....and u say that you have facts???? What facts the hearsay of some old man that's not very good info to consider as fact....and as for the rifled barrel thing i agree with u that all slug barrel aren't rifled and that rifled choke tubes suck for shotguns but where you are wrong is with fully rifled barrels bc when shooting sabot slugs they do work and make a huge difference....I don't care what you say I know what I know and I can prove that....that's all I have ever owned and hunted with bc I'm from Ohio and we aren't aloud to use rifles to deer hunt with so all I've ever hunted and experimented with is shotguns

Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Wow who pissed in your cheerios?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sights haver nothing to do with that. I.e. turkey hunting uses sights and leos have sights on their guns. If you have a rifled barrel, it won't have chokes. And a lot of guns have rifled barrels made for them I do not use a rifled barrel and use slugs designed for smooth bore. For the versatility. Again sights do not make a barrel a slug barrel

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
Sights haver nothing to do with that. I.e. turkey hunting uses sights and leos have sights on their guns. If you have a rifled barrel, it won't have chokes. And a lot of guns have rifled barrels made for them I do not use a rifled barrel and use slugs designed for smooth bore. For the versatility. Again sights do not make a barrel a slug barrel
For a smooth bore barrel, use old fashioned rifled slugs.

For a rifled barrel, use new fangled saboted slugs.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That in my opinion would have been avoided with better terminology. Ie I hunt pheasant with a sighted smooth bore vs I shoot pheasant with a slug barrel. Because chokes make all the difference in what a smooth bore barrel can do. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had the same thought process as I did.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #28

Default sleet and trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Ok its easier to bust sleet and trap a over 40 yards than it is to kill a pheasant it only takes 1 bb to bust a flat pigeon but to kill a pheasant it takes more than one....and u say that you have facts???? What facts the hearsay of some old man that's not very good info to consider as fact....and as for the rifled barrel thing i agree with u that all slug barrel aren't rifled and that rifled choke tubes suck for shotguns but where you are wrong is with fully rifled barrels bc when shooting sabot slugs they do work and make a huge difference....I don't care what you say I know what I know and I can prove that....that's all I have ever owned and hunted with bc I'm from Ohio and we aren't aloud to use rifles to deer hunt with so all I've ever hunted and experimented with is shotguns

I don't know, it's pretty hard to bust sleet at any distance. Those little balls of ice are pretty hard to hit. I guess you have to pick one out like shooting at a covey of quail.
cottontop

Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I don't know, it's pretty hard to bust sleet at any distance. Those little balls of ice are pretty hard to hit. I guess you have to pick one out like shooting at a covey of quail.
cottontop
I find it easy to bust sleet. All it takes is to slow the projectile down to about 55 mph and for the pesky ones that hit the ground before you hit them, the 33" all terrains take care of. It's all about the surface area. they always say never bring a gun to a sleet fight.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #30

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Nobody piss