28inch barrel no choke. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 28inch barrel no choke.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wouldn't a cylinder choke be better for a slug so it doesn't "shrink"

@TooStrongTerry

Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
Wouldn't a cylinder choke be better for a slug so it doesn't "shrink"

@TooStrongTerry
No bc as long as you use at least a modified its still big enough where it won't reform the slug

Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06

I guess I'm too skeptical about stuff I'm not saying you don't do it but is have to see it to believe it bc if you are using just a smooth bore cylinder slug barrel with out it being choked down I don't see it killing much of anything with anything besides a slug beyond about about 25-30 yards let alone a,pheasant at 40
I understand its definately beyond your typical ranges. The first time I did it I was absolutely amazed. All I can do is attribute it to a great shot pattern and the good old golden bb effect.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

Default 40 yards and cyl choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
I guess I'm too skeptical about stuff I'm not saying you don't do it but is have to see it to believe it bc if you are using just a smooth bore cylinder slug barrel with out it being choked down I don't see it killing much of anything with anything besides a slug beyond about about 25-30 yards let alone a,pheasant at 40

There are several factors that come into play here. Choke is only one of them. The second factor is ammunition. Using premium ammunition with hard shot can make a big difference as can cheaper ammunition w/ soft shot. The only way to know for sure what your barrel/choke/ammunition is doing is to pattern the choke/ammunition combination. Do the 30" circle at 40 yards thing to get a percentage. 70% would be a good full choke. The percentage/choke goes down from there. Explaining how to properly pattern a shotgun is a rather lengthy explanation. Doing a google search on how to pattern a shotgun will explain it.
cottontop

Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #15

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

There are several factors that come into play here. Choke is only one of them. The second factor is ammunition. Using premium ammunition with hard shot can make a big difference as can cheaper ammunition w/ soft shot. The only way to know for sure what your barrel/choke/ammunition is doing is to pattern the choke/ammunition combination. Do the 30" circle at 40 yards thing to get a percentage. 70% would be a good full choke. The percentage/choke goes down from there. Explaining how to properly pattern a shotgun is a rather lengthy explanation. Doing a google search on how to pattern a shotgun will explain it.
cottontop
I know how to pattern a shotgun I have patterned a lot of turkey guns but I don't care what shell you have you aren't going to consistently kill pheasants at 40 yards with a slug barrel

Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #16

Default 40 yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
I know how to pattern a shotgun I have patterned a lot of turkey guns but I don't care what shell you have you aren't going to consistently kill pheasants at 40 yards with a slug barrel

I'm sorry, but this CAN be done consistantly using the right ammo. Get a copy of Bob Brister's book, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science." He explains how this is possible. Also, another good one is "The Shotgun Book," by Michael McIntosh. McIntosh tells of an incident where he and some shooting chronies backed up to well over 40 yards and were consistently breaking trap targets w/ wide open skeet chokes. I once knew an old man back in Michigan when I was a kid who was known to be a deadeye on long distance pheasants. He had an old Model 12 that he claimed had a very tight choke and that's what enabled him to bust those long distance birds. One day a bunch of guys talked the old man into letting them pattern the gun. At 40 yards it patterned even, but very wide, like a cylinder bore. The old guy was furious. He took it to a local gunsmith and had the choke measured. It had no choke at all. It seems that a few years before, it was accidentally run over by a hay wagon and the first few inches of the barrel had been cut off. The old guy didn't know this at the time but the previous owner confessed.
Believe what you want, I know what I saw. Do some patterning w/ different chokes and shells and you will see what I mean.
cottontop

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is too funny guys. I know this isn't exactly proof but if it keeps the argument going...
forumrunner_20120330_173644.jpg   forumrunner_20120330_173658.jpg   forumrunner_20120330_173712.jpg  

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #18

That's some pretty good proof. But there is no arguement. It is what it is. Facts and details over ride opinions and whims everytime.
cottontop

Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would think the rifling would add spin to the pellets. After leaving the barrel, the centrifugal force is going to pull the pattern apart faster than a smooth bore. Unless physics doesn't apply where you shoot. Now can you kill a bird like that sure. Would I want to? No. if I had the money to practice I'd go goose and duck hunting with full chokes. Give me the challenge.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What rifling?