Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   28inch barrel no choke. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/28inch-barrel-no-choke-61399/)

TooStrongTerry 03-30-2012 01:20 AM

28inch barrel no choke.
 
Can I shoot rifled slugs through? It came with mossbergs accu chokes ...all 3 but if I take them out I can shoot rifled slugs right?

@TooStrongTerry

Gatoragn 03-30-2012 01:30 AM

You don't want to mess up the treads in the barrel do you? I would not want to do that to my shotgun's barrel.

Why not try shooting it with each of the chokes and see how it performs? Certainly should not be a problem shooting slugs in a improved cylinder or modified choke.

TooStrongTerry 03-30-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn
You don't want to mess up the treads in the barrel do you? I would not want to do that to my shotgun's barrel.

Why not try shooting it with each of the chokes and see how it performs? Certainly should not be a problem shooting slugs in a improved cylinder or modified choke.

I never thought about it like that. The threads thing. Hmm...

@TooStrongTerry

akers06 03-30-2012 01:39 AM

Yea never shoot a gun that takes choke tubes with out one in it

TooStrongTerry 03-30-2012 02:07 AM

Don't you think a full choke would be best?

@TooStrongTerry

akers06 03-30-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
Don't you think a full choke would be best?

@TooStrongTerry

No that tight of a choke can deform the slug I have had the best luck out of a modified choke but you can also use an improved cylinder or just cylinder choke

mountainman13 03-30-2012 03:10 AM

I run my mossy with the 24" slugger barrel and it will eat whatever I put through it and I can drop a pheasant at 40 yards. Love that gun I couldn't have asked for more for $50.

akers06 03-30-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I run my mossy with the 24" slugger barrel and it will eat whatever I put through it and I can drop a pheasant at 40 yards. Love that gun I couldn't have asked for more for $50.

You can drop a phesant at 40 yards with a slug barrel??

mountainman13 03-30-2012 04:51 AM

Oh yeah. May take a second hit to make sure it stays down. But yes I've been known to. I usually hit my bag limit in about 20 min and run back up for everyone else make sure they get Atleast 1 bird each.

akers06 03-30-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
Oh yeah. May take a second hit to make sure it stays down. But yes I've been known to. I usually hit my bag limit in about 20 min and run back up for everyone else make sure they get Atleast 1 bird each.

I guess I'm too skeptical about stuff I'm not saying you don't do it but is have to see it to believe it bc if you are using just a smooth bore cylinder slug barrel with out it being choked down I don't see it killing much of anything with anything besides a slug beyond about about 25-30 yards let alone a,pheasant at 40


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.