28 guage, why bother? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 28 guage, why bother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

I am the proud owner of a L. C. Smith 28 gauge s x s that I got as a gift as a teenager over 56 years ago that money can’t buy. Also an English made s x s that gets a lot of use. All told I have six 28s and nine 410s, all break actions, in my cabinets. The largest bore I hunt with is 20 gauge for late season pheasants, after they have been shot over for a month or so and don’t hold well for the dogs, and slugs for deer. My sixteens and twelves are pretty much cabinet queens. I have never understood the concept that you have to have a twelve for upland game of any kind.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #12

Wow! I really didn't get it. Now I do. Thanks for helping out an ammeture gun enthusiast. As I said I couldn't figure it out. But apparently there was a reason, now I know what it is. Maybe I'll check into one of them now.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
I am the proud owner of a L. C. Smith 28 gauge s x s that I got as a gift as a teenager over 56 years ago that money can’t buy. Also an English made s x s that gets a lot of use. All told I have six 28s and nine 410s, all break actions, in my cabinets. The largest bore I hunt with is 20 gauge for late season pheasants, after they have been shot over for a month or so and don’t hold well for the dogs, and slugs for deer. My sixteens and twelves are pretty much cabinet queens. I have never understood the concept that you have to have a twelve for upland game of any kind.
Finally someone who is a purest and understands. Amen to you Walley!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

I guess that you might say that I am a purest as there are a total of two pumps and one bolt-action shotguns in my collection. Everything else is single shot, O/U or S X S. I much prefer to hunt with the single shots for the challenge. For me the hunt is what is important not the killing.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #15

Default helpful tip

carry a auto 12 all day hunting quail or pheasants and then the next day carry a 20 or 28........it will become quite evident of the use for smaller gauges. I'll take a 20 or 28 gauge shooting 1oz for the tradeoff of shooting 1-1/8 oz of a 12 anyday in the birdfield. IMHO I think you get a little better pattern performance in the lighter gauges. I have a Franchi renaissance 20 gauge and a 1187 12 gauge.......I've shot a lot of quail with both and prefer the 20. I wouldn't have any qualms or concerns about dropping down to a 28. My preference is to have the 12 as a waterfowl and turkey gun and use the 20 for smaller birds.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

Walley,
If you do own a vintage L.C. Smith 28 ga, you may be surprised to find out "what money can't buy".

Old 11-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default reply

*gasp* you cant be serious

Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default reply

I dont know the history behind it but Im guessing the 28ga was a ploy to get girls to shoot shotguns. Didnt they all come in pink and have a free rain slicker? Dont hate on me Im just stirring the pot for all you mans that actually have one.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
I dont know the history behind it but Im guessing the 28ga was a ploy to get girls to shoot shotguns. Didnt they all come in pink and have a free rain slicker? Dont hate on me Im just stirring the pot for all you mans that actually have one.
Some shooters are skilled and proficient enough to hit 25 straight in skeet and bag their limit in pheasants with a 28 gauge--some aren't, need a 12 gauge cannon, and still can't to do the same...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"