28 guage, why bother?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 28 guage, why bother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 28 guage, why bother?

Holy crap, I knew they existed, but who buys them? I was walking around Wal-Mart today and I saw the shotshells on the shelf and decided to gander for a minute. Yep 28's. I opened the box up and looked at one. To me it looks like a waste of a design. My view says major knock down= 12guage(10guage if you're real serious), less kick=20guage, and plinking or small game=410bore. So why in the world would someone want a 28? Personally it's like the 16, does it have a real purpose? If so, please explain! I'd really like to know. Oh and while I'm on this... I have yet to comprehend why the #### a box of 410's are double the cost of 12/20's. Let's think on this one, right? Flippin morons know that we'll pay it is all that I can figure. Phew!!! Now I feel better since I got to vent.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #2

Default 28g

Probably wouldn't be around except for Skeet -- one of the 4 gauges used in competition. People like the 3/4oz@1200fps load characteristics -- and of course the mild recoil for even a lightweight gun.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The affordable cost of 12/20 is due to the massive amounts they churn out. The 28 and .410 are for purists. The lead is the same with them, but the shot pattern is smaller. Once you become accurate enough to hit every shot, it is common to drop down a guage.

There is a guy who shoots at my skeet club and he hunts everything with a .410. Effing showoff.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Got a buddy that is a ruffed grouse hunting maniac. He's got 12's and 20's but he takes the 28 out 90% of the time. He shoots very well and gets many birds. The o/u 28 is light, balanced and quick swinging in the laurel thickets on the mountain, and a box of 28's weighs much less in the vest than 12's. He shoots well enough with the 28, that I doubt he would get any more birds using a larger guage.
I on the other hand couldn't hit one with a 105 loaded with cannister.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

If the 28 puzzles you, the TON of 32 guage shot at doves in South America will really puzzle you.

Great bird round if you are a decent shot, very mild recoil, light guns, swing fast, etc. Reason for all those flavors over in the ice cream section. Some like vanilla, some chocolate, some Cherry Garcia.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have to respond since the OP mentioned 16ga and love them. I currently only have 1 but a true 16ga has a purpose. They USED to be built on their own frames so they were smaller then a 12ga which made them lighter to carry, easier to swing/point at the same time they were only slightly bigger then a 20ga. The 16 would throw more lead then a 20 during this time(the 20 has filled the gap thanks to technology) so it was known to hit harder. The 16 was known to, "carry like a 20 but hit like a 12".

The sad thing is that now if you buy a 16ga you are getting nothing but a 12ga with small barrel/s so the advantage has been lost. You can thank the cost of manufacturing for that. The gap between the 12 and 20 has gotten so small people don't see a need for a 16. Add to that people belief that simply holding a 12ga will clear a room and the 16 loses more interest.

I may be weird but to me a 16ga is cool. I've taken more dove with my 16 then any other shotgun. I also bought 250 rds of Federal high brass(that's right, the nice purple ones) for $21 at a pawn shop because he said he couldn't sell them. He asked if I had $25 cash. I told him no, only $21. He smiled and said, close enough.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's called fair chase. I hunted pheasant with guys that use a 28 and I often hunt with a single shot .410. If I limit out early it pisses the dog off to no extent when I'm done hunting and she's not.

Always remember it's called hunting and not killing. If you use a Red Ryder BB gun and I use a Parker side by side, it's all the same, where still hunting.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

The 28 gauge patterns about the same as a 20 gauge with less recoil and are usually lighter guns. For starting a young shooter they are ideal because of their denser pattern than the 410 and less kick than the 20. I have hunted with both the 410 and the 28 gauge for over 60 years, shot skeet for 40 years and feel that if one is not comfortable doing so they are missing a great part of gun sports. These little guns have a grace and beauty that larger guages can’t match. It does take quite a bit of practice to become proficient with small bores but practicing is part of the enjoyment of shooting and hunting

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

I duck hunt quite a bit with a 28 gauge. Great for those holes that require a 2+ mile hike just to get there. A bigger gun aint going to kill um any deader.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My favorite gauge--there is no upland game that won't go down with a 28ga, and nothing is nicer than a sweet 28ga side by side. It's one of those things that you have to shoot and carry to appreciate. They also make some very nice 1 oz hunting loads for the 28ga--which by the way is now the standard hunting load for 20 gauge and is becoming standard for light or economy 12 gauge loads. My wife has a Remington 1100 in 28 gauge (a sweet ladies gun), I have several side by sides, and OU, and a Rem 870--love them all.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"