28 ga.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 28 ga.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default 28 ga.

My Father loves his H&R 28 GA. single shot. I personally have seen him out shoot bigger gauge shotguns at turkey shoots. I have been pheasant hunting with him and he shoots them out of the sky with this old gun.
To the point we were at the store to buy shells and a man told him he should upgrade to a 12GA. With a 2 and 3/4 shell it shots tighter patters than a 12GA. with the same shot size and length shells. Why do people always give my dad this line when he goes to buy shells. Then they argue for a minute because my dad says he can hold his own just fine with his 28GA. and some how it always comes out that he or he says they can out shoot each other with what ever they like. What do you guys think about the smaller guage shot guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
TxG

The 28 is a great gauge...just less 'margin of error' than with the 12. It's going to throw less shot, of course, but at approx. the same velocity. If you're a good enough wingshooter, then yes...you can hold your own with the 28. An obvious drawback is the smaller variety of factory loads when compared to the 12 or 20, and correspondingly higher prices. But just remind your Dad it's more of an expert's gun, and if he does well with it, what does that say?

Last edited by TxG; 11-22-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #3

i don't really see how it's anyone's business what he buys. since he's your dad i'd assume he's not all that young and he's buying shells for a fairly uncommon gauge. if i was around when he was buying them i'd assume this old timer had a gun that he liked and is used to and just be impressed that they were hunting with that gauge.

now, if some young kid was buying .223 rifle rounds and talking about trying to deer hunt i would see the need to say something, but in this case they should just let him buy what he wants and mind their own business.

just my opinion.

(personally, i would like to see what a 28 gauge is all about. i've only shot 12, 20 and 410's)

Old 11-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My personal favorite is a 16ga. If your old man is shooting well with a 28, good for him! It says a lot about his skill level and if he doesn't mind paying a little more for the shells, no big deal. How about some pics of this thing?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #5

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I appreciate your thoughts Gentlemen! I will post some pics.