20GA HD Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 20GA HD Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 20GA HD Gun

have a spare 20ga Mossberg 500 that i would like to turn into a HD gun.

I would like to simply replace the current 26in Vent Rib barrel with a new one in the 18-22 inch range that has either ghost ring or rifle sights already installed.

I have been searching off and on for about 2 months now and havent found a barrel that fits what im looking for.

My question is should i just buy a new barrel w/o a vent rib to replace the current one or can the vent rib be removed from the current barrel at the same time that it is being shortened? and how much would be a reasonable price to shorten a barrel and retap it for choke tubes?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do not believe that you will find a HD length barrel for a 20ga. You will have to either cut the one that you have now, or find one that is close to what you want and then have that one cut. I don't know what it would cost, but it should be too much. The most expensive part is the choking.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 AM   #3

I don't know about the Mossy part, but Remington offers a 20 ga HD gun with an 18" barrel. I'm sure you could find a 18" barrel if you look in the right place.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G50452

Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #4

how hard would it be to either pull the vent rib off or have a gunsmith remove it?
would the barrel have to be refinished if the vent rib was to be removed?
being that its a HD gun and wouldnt be used past 35 feet i dont think a choke is really needed.