20 gauge sabot barrel length - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 20 gauge sabot barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Virginian, its cool I'm not arguing as I never chroned any shotgun loads. I've chronographed many rifle, pistol, and airguns. Oddly never a single shotgun(I'm not a shotgun guy). I couldn't find any actual numbers on the internet. Though in one spot they did agree with you about longer=faster but I was hoping for actual data. 22 rifles reach their peak at about 16". "Deer" rifles vary alot but longer barrels for sure equal faster bullets out to reasonable length barrels.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1498 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Another reason shotguns have longer barrels is the sight plane. One would think 2" doesn't make much difference but my skeet score drops when I use a gun with a 26" barrel. 28" or 30" barrel I shoot the same scores. My score does pick up with a 26" barrel but it takes a few rounds (50 shots) to start rising. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #13

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Anyone who has ever shot a Magnum rifle at dusk knows the powder is still burning at normal barrel lengths. When the world thru your scope turns orange the first time it's an attention getter.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #14

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Tests have shown you still get velocity increases out past 32". The rate of increase certainly slows down, but it is still happening. Down in the lower 20" ranges the velocity changes may equal 25 to 50 feet per second per inch. What makes you think Mossberg didn't do a little homework before settling on 24".
What makes me think Mossberg didn't do homework....About 4 Iron sight barrels that the factory sights could not be set on, no matter who shot or which brand sabot was used. For years about every Mossy I saw had a 24" barrel I think they settled cause it was easy and reduced inventory.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Another reason shotguns have longer barrels is the sight plane. One would think 2" doesn't make much difference but my skeet score drops when I use a gun with a 26" barrel. 28" or 30" barrel I shoot the same scores. My score does pick up with a 26" barrel but it takes a few rounds (50 shots) to start rising. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
I feel your pain I have the opposite problem, need the 26" and for 500 fans that ain't easy. But this won't matter here, cantilever scope barrel.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
What makes me think Mossberg didn't do homework....About 4 Iron sight barrels that the factory sights could not be set on, no matter who shot or which brand sabot was used. For years about every Mossy I saw had a 24" barrel I think they settled cause it was easy and reduced inventory.
Well I surely can't argue because I haven't owned a Mossberg for many years, but what makes you think shortening the barrel is going to help accuracy? Or are you just looking to try something to help the situation?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5537 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

The fast burning powders used in shotshells burn in 16-18 inches.

The old myths that longer barrels will increase velocity just aren't true.

Read any shotshell reloading manual, and the powders used are Unique, Herco, HS-6, etc. all fast burning pistol powders.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5537 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Anyone who has ever shot a Magnum rifle at dusk knows the powder is still burning at normal barrel lengths. When the world thru your scope turns orange the first time it's an attention getter.
The key words here are MAGNUM RIFLE. Rifles use slow burning powder.

Pistols and shotguns use FAST burning powder.

Check your reloading manuals for powder burning rate.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #19

I don't have to read reloading manuals, I have chronographed hundreds of shotgun loads. And the velocity does continue to increase out past 30", but only slightly. As I said earlier, the powder has burned, but the gasses and the pressure are still bottled up behind the shot and wad. If you didn't still have pressure behind the charge when it exited the barrel it would not go bang nearly so loud.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Well I surely can't argue because I haven't owned a Mossberg for many years, but what makes you think shortening the barrel is going to help accuracy? Or are you just looking to try something to help the situation?
Ok, the reason I'm thinking a shorter barrel might help is cause we found out mostly by accident that what us old farts call riot guns made good improvised sluggers, the reasons I could come up with were the imp cyl. choke and the fact the barrel ended shortly after that big ring that wrapped around the mag tube keeping the barrel still. I'm wondering also if maybe the 20 guage barrel is too thin adding to the movement.