Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 20 gauge for home defense and survival.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I have not yet set up to load 20 ga. I plan on it, just have not gotten around to it. I think #1 buck is the largest size normally loaded in ga. I cast my own OO and O buck. I might try the O buck to see if it is feasible.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

Anything you can't stop with #3 buck, you won't stop with any buckshot load. 00 just gives you a bit more range. But in home defense, range is a moot question anyway.

Golda Meier.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^^

Robo, i know you said that you have made reloads for your 12; do you reload for your 20? If so, can you overcome the limited variety of buckshot by loading your own?
Loading buckshot isn't as simple as loading birdshot. You can't just put a wad in the shell and fill it with shot. Most buckshot loads have felt of plastic wad (or both) that is disk shaped. then the shell is filled with buckshot and plastic saw dust.

People buy 10 gauges for turkey hunting. then they decide to load their own buckshot. In a side by side comparison the 3" winchester super x walmart value pack buckshot out perform the 10 ga handloads every time. If it happened once I would say it was a bad handload. But I have seen it happen to many times to count.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #14

For everyday purposes a 20ga is great. Everyone has covered most of the reasons they are great. But in a SHTF situation I would rather have a 12 ga. You will find 12 ga shells anywhere but 20 ga I dunno.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
For everyday purposes a 20ga is great. Everyone has covered most of the reasons they are great. But in a SHTF situation I would rather have a 12 ga. You will find 12 ga shells anywhere but 20 ga I dunno.
Which is a good reason to keep lotsa spare ammo on hand!

Golda Meier.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
the ONLY reason both my shotguns are 12 gauge is because they were half the price of a 20 gauge in the same model (both bought used).

a 20 is more than enough for most everything except goose & turkey's i imagaine
+1. At the distances you would probably use a shotgun for home/self defense, almost ANY 12/16/20 gauge load will get the job done! I've looked at the test data on numerous sites and in gun publications and at normal home defense ranges (less than 50 feet), the shot spread is so tight it's almost like being hit by a sold projectile no matter what the shot size. Personally, I think a 20 gauge semi would be easier to control and would allow someone to fire accurate follow up shots than a 12g. FWIW, I'd bet chances are if it reaches the point where you can't find 20g shells, you won't find them in 12 either.

Last edited by rachilders; 09-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I have found 9 pellet 00 and 1oz slugs in 20 gauge on line. You will probably only find #3 buck in the stores. The lgs wants $300 + tax for a clean used Stoeger coach gun choked improved and modified. I have a 12 gauge Nova and my wife wont touch it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have found 9 pellet 00 and 1oz slugs in 20 gauge on line. You will probably only find #3 buck in the stores. The lgs wants $300 + tax for a clean used Stoeger coach gun choked improved and modified. I have a 12 gauge Nova and my wife wont touch it.
look at buds gunshop. you will find the stoeger double barrel isn't that much more than $300.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
+1. At the distances you would probably use a shotgun for home/self defense, almost ANY 12/16/20 gauge load will get the job done! I've looked at the test data on numerous sites and in gun publications and at normal home defense ranges (less than 50 feet), the shot spread is so tight it's almost like being hit by a sold projectile no matter what the shot size. Personally, I think a 20 gauge semi would be easier to control and would allow someone to fire accurate follow up shots than a 12g. FWIW, I'd bet chances are if it reaches the point where you can't find 20g shells, you won't find them in 12 either.
Given that there are prolly 10X the number of 12 ga floating around I would bet the 12 will be a lot easier to find. When the SHTF stores will be looted in hours. You will find ammo that has been left behind in a house somewhere.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Given that there are prolly 10X the number of 12 ga floating around I would bet the 12 will be a lot easier to find. When the SHTF stores will be looted in hours. You will find ammo that has been left behind in a house somewhere.
Quite possibly true. OTOH, if everyone and their brother and/or neighbor is carrying a 12 gauge shotgun, what is most likely to disappear first if ammo runs low, the ammunition for guns that almost everyone has or shells the select few use? Put another way, when 50 people are fighting over a case of 12 gauge shells vs 5 people competing for a case of 20g shells, who has a better chance of scoring some? Still, if you have guns in both gauges, like me, you greatly broaden your chances of finding ammo for either one gauge or the other.