1st shotgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 1st shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I have 2 870s, both purchased used. Mint condition paid $250

I like the older ones because stocks are nicer and no plastic parts. If I was buying new I'd buy Benelli Nova. Bought one for my son, great shotguns

Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton

I took a gander at some Benelli prices. Other than the Nova, every other one I saw was $1000 +. Now, this is just my take, however I try to never buy the cheapest product any manufacturer. That kinda product is generally designed to get the folks who can't afford their Top Tier lines. To get a $1000+ shotgun down to $400, you'd have to cut at least a few corners for the sake of cost. Not saying they are cheap, but if I was going to buy a Benelli, I'd save up a bit more cash and get a least a middle of the road offering version.
The benellis that are over $1000 are semi autos with their inertia system. There is no difference in quality of make. I suggest you study a little more.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #23

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton

I took a gander at some Benelli prices. Other than the Nova, every other one I saw was $1000 +. Now, this is just my take, however I try to never buy the cheapest product any manufacturer. That kinda product is generally designed to get the folks who can't afford their Top Tier lines. To get a $1000+ shotgun down to $400, you'd have to cut at least a few corners for the sake of cost. Not saying they are cheap, but if I was going to buy a Benelli, I'd save up a bit more cash and get a least a middle of the road offering version.
Think again! Their Nova and Super Novas are pump actions. The barrels actions everything is the same Benelli quality. They picked a price- point that would tempt 870 and 500 buyers. If I was buying a new pump action it would be a Benelli hands down

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #24

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

well built gun:
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
pull
hey, that was fun! give me another box!
----------------
cheap gun:
pull, hey look at that!
pull, hehehe.
pull, hmm. i flinched.
here honey, you try. no dear, your cheek is bruised.
pull, geesh.
pull, here you try.
no go ahead, i'll throw the clays.
hey, what are you shooting? (buddies good gun) can i try?
wow, this is nice.
no i cant afford that. mine shoots great!
black and blue shoulder next morning.
gun goes in closet.
passed off to son 30 years later in like new condition.
(gee, dad really took care of his gun!)
son...pull!
woe!
pull! how did dad do it?
pull! OMG!
pull! no friggin way.
son: "dad? how did you do it?"
dad: "well, back in my day, thats the way we did things, by golly!"
son puts gun on gunbroker.
kid buys a nice semi auto.
dads feeling are hurt, but not as bad as the memories of his shoulder.

typical story of 99% of all utility grade pumps, HD, and riot guns being sold today......

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 02-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #25

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts

Well, let me admit I am not a Benelli fan. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea, or coffee. But, I think any of the name brand pumps would suit if it feels good to you. Mossberg, Remington, Browning, Winchester. I would not advise a new shooter to start with a used Ithaca 37, and the new ones are too high dollar in my opinion, and I never did like having to load thru the magazine with an Ithaca, or a BPS. Pumps are about the simplest and most reliable rapid repeaters one can buy, but the lighter they are the more they kick.
I would strongly suggest looking at some decent quality used semi autos, gas operated. You can get a lot more gun for a lot less money. Beretta, Remington, Browning, Mossberg all work pretty darned good. They will greatly attenuate the recoil. And if you take decent care of it, you shouldn't lose a dime if or when you decide to change guns. I started with my first shotgun 53 years ago and it took me five guns until I found the one that changed the local joke into the league (junior) high average skeet shooter.
Good luck.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #26

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
if its whiz bang...buy the cheapest thing you can get.
odds are itll be used maybe twice a year and put up. right?

btw...all the names suggested are going to kick the daylights out of you.
the cheaper the gun, the more it kicks.

if less kick is needed, get the heaviest gun out there and use low recoil loads(if you can find them in todays world) or go with a 20ga.
I've never notice hard recoil, even w/ 3" magnums in my 500. Now I also have an old 3pc travel 12ga that will kick the snot out of you, it is worth quite a bit, Price does not equate into felt recoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I have 2 870s, both purchased used. Mint condition paid $250

I like the older ones because stocks are nicer and no plastic parts. If I was buying new I'd buy Benelli Nova. Bought one for my son, great shotguns
The only part of the Nova I don't care for is the rear stock mated to the receiver. Kinda to space age looking for me.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #27

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

anyone who doesnt feel recoil in a 500, 37, or an 870, doesnt know what 'low recoil' feels like.
i can shoot 500 rounds a day and not feel a thing in a well built gun.

i toss clays for a living and ive seen every gun under the sun come here. i dont watch targets break, i watch the shooters. and im here to tell you, their faces tell it all.
when they see me watching, they roll their eyes, shake their heads, and the classic shoot and look at the gun like its the guns fault. i like the guns that fold their ears back on recoil.

then i hand them a well built gun and its like a handed them a pillow to rest their heads on. they love me and i become a hero.
free advice, you get what you pay for.
its either a fold out cott, or a sealy posturpedic. you choice.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 02-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #28

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post

All the $1000+ guns are semi.autos the only pumps they make the boss novas and super novas ranging from $400-800 which is about what the 870s run

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #29

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
anyone who doesnt feel recoil in a 500, 37, or an 870, doesnt know what 'low recoil' feels like.
i can shoot 500 rounds a day and not feel a thing in a well built gun.

i toss clays for a living and ive seen every gun under the sun come here. i dont watch targets break, i watch the shooters. and im here to tell you, their faces tell it all.
when they see me watching, they roll their eyes, shake their heads, and the classic shoot and look at the gun like its the guns fault. i like the guns that fold their ears back on recoil.

then i hand them a well built gun and its like a handed them a pillow to rest their heads on. they love me and i become a hero.
free advice, you get what you pay for.
its either a fold out cott, or a sealy posturpedic. you choice.
I am still going to disagree on this. But then again, I'm no girly man. My Charles Daly auto loader was inexpensive. It is even more timid then my 500.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #30

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts

There is a heck of a lot more to recoil than the cost of the gun.

What could have happened... did.