1st shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 1st shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st shotgun

Looking for a good all around shotgun for less than $400. Am looking at a stoeger 12 ga. double barrel, but all my brothers are haggling me to get a pump for waterfowl. I do expect this gun to be shooting more small game (rabit, pheasant) but the occasional wetwater hunting.
Any opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Check out a mossberg 500. Some can be had for super cheap. Ive seen them go as low as $150. Parts are cheap for them, plently of aftermarket accessories, and easy to change barrels. I have over 5000 rounds threw my 500a and it just keeps going and going.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I love a side by side for hunting, learned with one, just shoot them better. But when my buddy George told me he'd wounded a grizzly up the creek and would I come help him pull it out of the alders I wanted an 870.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I love a side by side for hunting, learned with one, just shoot them better. But when my buddy George told me he'd wounded a grizzly up the creek and would I come help him pull it out of the alders I wanted an 870.
I must agree that a side by side is a fantastic shot firearm as well. I have a 20 gauge side by side. I shoot that shot gun better than any of my others, well maybe not as good as the 12 gauge over and under but close.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is no reason that the Stoger Uplander might be considered inadequate for hunting waterfowl. With screw in chokes, full and full, in both barrels several of my acquaintances use them regularly for goose hunting. It always gets me whenever someone shows interest in break action guns on shotgun forums people have to jump in and tell the person that they should forget it and get a pump. Be it a s x s, O/U or the lowly single shot they are all the most reliable and safest hunting shotgun made. The s x s has been the classic gun for both field and range for well over a hundred years and the only gun that comes close is the O/U. Myself I prefer a single shot no matter what I am hunting but do own several double barrels both s x s and O/U. If you like the Uplander go for it, it is a good gun at a exceptionally reasonable price. I have my eye on one in 28 gauge for late season pheasants over good dogs.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel