12ga stopping power??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga stopping power???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

very nice^
you have your CCW? awesome. i cant wait until i turn 21 so i can get mine..

hmmm if you have that kind of money you should build one^ sounds like a fun project. and theres nothin' like a custom decked out AR

all i own is that mossberg 500 persuader. with the collapsible stock and a rail mount.. my cheap red dot sight went out on me -_-

i bought it as just a pistol grip. i found out the shop that i got it from actually sold it to me illegally o.o aparently you have to be 21 to own a pistol grip shotgun..

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup I got my ccw, there's no feeling like it. It comes with alot of responsibility though. The mossy 500 is a nice shotgun my buddy has the pistol grip version also. That's cool that they sold it to you although it could get them in trouble. What kind of red dot did you have on it? I was looking at a TRU glo for my .22 but ended up with a long scope for it. Well I'm heading off to bed now I'll respond back in the am. Peace good talking to ya bud:

Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #23

yea. i would hope to never have to use my gun on another person. but the ccw would bring alittle peace of mind. i think its a violation of the 2nd to even have to have a CCW. but oh well what can we do..

yea its nice that they sold it to me. i found out it was illegal when i went to buy a STOCK & they wouldn't even sell me a stock unless i was 21 -_-
so i had my uncle order me one online :P

i just had a cheap TASCO red dot that they sell here at wal-mart for 30$
it was great and took alot of 12ga abuse.. not sure why it went bad..

goodnite sir, nice talkin to you as well^

Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1222 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex19ccc View Post
im asking what your opinion is on the stopping power of 12ga buckshot & slugs.

i ask because ive read alot of disappointing stories such as buckshot just bouncing off creatures skulls and things like that. i also want to know if you guys think a slug would drop a decent sized bear if hit in the right spot. we have quite a few black bears were im at in missouri...and my father seems to think that one will attack us while strolling through the woods! XD
but he doesn't believe that the good ol' mossberg will do the trick... i think otherwise..cuz ive shattered cinder blocks pretty good..

so yea.. basicly what im asking is.. what do you think about the 12ga as defense from the larger predators? o.0
How likely do you think it is to see a bear when we barely have maybe 300 bears in the entire state ?

When all else fails.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex19ccc View Post
im asking what your opinion is on the stopping power of 12ga buckshot & slugs.

i ask because ive read alot of disappointing stories such as buckshot just bouncing off creatures skulls and things like that. i also want to know if you guys think a slug would drop a decent sized bear if hit in the right spot. we have quite a few black bears were im at in missouri...and my father seems to think that one will attack us while strolling through the woods! XD
but he doesn't believe that the good ol' mossberg will do the trick... i think otherwise..cuz ive shattered cinder blocks pretty good..

so yea.. basicly what im asking is.. what do you think about the 12ga as defense from the larger predators? o.0
Yes 12ga slugs will drop a bear if hit in the vitals, here in Indiana we use slugs to hunt deer. When hit in the vitals they go down after only a few steps, but if you miss the vitals they could run a long way.
Not something I would want with a bear that just came out of the woods at me.
Buckshot I wouldn't try unless it was 00 buck from a semi-auto at close range & that would be only a have to case.
If you are hunting where you have time to aim I would be safe to say yes it would stop a bear. But if you are just strolling through the woods & a bear comes after you then NO because you wouldn't have time to accurately place the shot.
For protection I would use something like a .357 or .45 but it would be best to avoid them when possible.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #26

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex19ccc
i see..trap them? you can shoot them right? :P

so its kind of expensive, but i bet a gator hide could fetch a good price
You dont shoot them

Ya choot em!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

gmaster456 Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #27

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Smack someone with a slug and they're going down. Period.

As for bears, you'll have to hit em in the right spot.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
Smack someone with a slug and they're going down. Period.

As for bears, you'll have to hit em in the right spot.
Says it almost all.

Slugs are great and will stop anything you hit in the right place. But how do you assure, on a potentially snap shot, that's what you're gonna do? Below is my Alaska camp gun. As such it's loaded with 3" Magnum Plated #000 Buckshot.
mossberg-500a-compressed-little.jpg  

Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #29

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
how do you assure, on a potentially snap shot, that's what you're gonna do?
Nobody knows exactly what they'll do unless they've faced such a situation before. And even then.....

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #30

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
how do you assure, on a potentially snap shot, that's what you're gonna do?

Practice, practice, practice until your confidence overcomes your fear.
This is what law enforcement & the military does.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton