Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga stopping power???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 12ga stopping power???

im asking what your opinion is on the stopping power of 12ga buckshot & slugs.

i ask because ive read alot of disappointing stories such as buckshot just bouncing off creatures skulls and things like that. i also want to know if you guys think a slug would drop a decent sized bear if hit in the right spot. we have quite a few black bears were im at in missouri...and my father seems to think that one will attack us while strolling through the woods! XD
but he doesn't believe that the good ol' mossberg will do the trick... i think otherwise..cuz ive shattered cinder blocks pretty good..

so yea.. basicly what im asking is.. what do you think about the 12ga as defense from the larger predators? o.0

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your worried about a bear I would get some bear mace honestly. I think a shotty COULD do the job but you gotta worry about the what if's...what if you don't hit it in the right spot, what if it doesn't drop it right away, what if you miss...bear noses are way more sensitive than ours and if you hit em with mace they will haul tail outta there.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #3

But I really don't live anywhere near a large population of bears so I guess it would be whatever your comfortable with.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #4

oh im not REAL worried about it, we only see one once in a great while. and they have run the other way every time.. now.. dont take me for a bloodthirsty jacka55. but i would like to take one of these down.. ive never had the chance to kill anything bigger than a possum :P

i really dont want to do it illegally either... would you happen to have a basic idea of how much a black bear tag would cost? o.0

Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

Naw, if you wanted to know gator tags I could tell ya. I would assume all you would have to do is go on your states wildlife commission website and go to the hunting section and that should have all the pricing. I wish we had a nice population of bears around here to hunt but the main thing down here is gators and wild hogs.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #6

yea ill have to look it up.

awww man.. im jealous!
ive always fantisized about gator hunting.
where are you from?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #7

I live in south Florida, 20 mins from south beach and 15 minutes from the Everglades. Best of both worlds. Although I do love the country side and travel to ga occasionally. What about yourself?

Last edited by gladesbassin; 08-28-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #8

that sounds amazing..
i live in southern missouri...springfield to be exact. i live in the city, wich sucks for someone who loves to hunt! especially when i dont know anyone with land.. i have to usually find ppl on craigslist etc. that are willing to let me use their land :/ cant wait to get a place outside of town..

by the way, how much is a gator tag? just curious :P

Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #9

It's $272 to get a permit to trap them and this come with 2 tags and $62 for 2 tags, but you gotta be put into a lottery for it so it's not promised lol. But you will usually get it, they do three phases of drawings and you can purchase extras in the third phase if not all sold out(this is Florida resident prices) non resident prices are crazy. Lol

Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #10

i see..trap them? you can shoot them right? :P

so its kind of expensive, but i bet a gator hide could fetch a good price