12GA Slug question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12GA Slug question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default 12GA Slug question

Hey all,
I was wondering what's the diameter of a 12GA rifled slug. I don't have any slugs to cut open right now so I was wondering if anyone knew. I was thinking it'd be close to .73 but considering a lot of people shoot slugs through improved cylinders, I guess they might be a bit smaller than .73.

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

.729 inches.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

All of them? So when they go through an IC they simply change shapes?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Lead will deform. Some of the Foster types are .69 to .73 in diameter. They are hollow based, so teh slug can get a good seal but still deform down to accomodate a small choke. (They usually recommend no tighter than a Modified choke).

Brenneke slugs are also around .72 in diameter. Remember that these slugs have rifling and they need to be in good contact with the bore to be able to impart spin on the projectile. Lead is softer than the barrel so it will deform.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I hate to be nitpicky SSGN_Doc because you are huge breath of fresh air around here but the rifling’s don’t impart spin on the slugs. They are there to provide the "squish zone" in the various chokes. The hollow base is three fold. First it provides a means for the skirt to seal to the bore upon ignition of the charge, second it does give for the choke but mostly it gives the foster the nose heavy characteristics it needs so it dosent tumble in flight.....think badminton shuttlecock.

This applies only to factory loads and not Lee or Lyman cast slugs.

Sabot : designed for rifled barrel. Can be shot through a Cylinder (no choke) smooth bore, do not shoot through a chokes barrel of any sort. Reason is the sabot is solid and will not swag down to the size of a choke. Another reason is poor accuracy, it is killing accurate to an extent but the sabot will key hole….or tumble in flight.

Rifled foster slug: foster refers to the hollow base. The hollow base expands from the pressure of the discharge sealing the skirt to the bore. The “rifling” is not for anything other than providing a crumple zone, if you will ,for the slug to fit through various chokes. The rifling does not impart spin on the slug. Designed for smooth bore and can be shot through a rifled barrel with ok accuracy but not as good as a sabot.

Brenneke style:. It is basically an improved foster. The Wad, or shot column stays with the slug through penetration. This offers some advantages in flight stability and extra mass for energy and penetration on the target. This is where you need to pay attention to labeling as some Brenneke brand slugs can be sabots and will be labeled as so.

This is not a Brenneke brand slug but it is a Brenneke style. Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster

Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster

Here are some of my home cast Lee Key drives .69”

Now someone will come along disagree and call me a know it all but whatever

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #6

Very informative, thanks guys!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
I hate to be nitpicky SSGN_Doc because you are huge breath of fresh air around here but the rifling’s don’t impart spin on the slugs. They are there to provide the "squish zone" in the various chokes. The hollow base is three fold. First it provides a means for the skirt to seal to the bore upon ignition of the charge, second it does give for the choke but mostly it gives the foster the nose heavy characteristics it needs so it dosent tumble in flight.....think badminton shuttlecock.
Thanks forthe additional info. I did know that the hollow base was there to allow for a better seal (Much like a Minnie Ball out of a rifled musket) and that the weight forward would also help with stability. But I was under the impression that they were rifled to help get some spin on there as well. I thought it was why folks would say that when using slugs either the slug shoud be rifled, or the bore should be rifled, but not both.

Not too old to learn something new. I don't mind getting nits picked as long as it helps give clearer info.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Right on, check into it when you get a chance, I wouldn’t steer you wrong bro

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Oli is right. The "rifling" is just to allow the slug to pass through any choke w/o causing a dangerous over pressure. The rifling is mostly non existant by the time the slug leaves the barrel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

Liked 2397 Times on 1555 Posts

Nice post oli

Feral cat waterboarder