Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga shotguns and the 20ga round...=Boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 12ga shotguns and the 20ga round...=Boom

accidently dropping a 20ga down the bore of a 12 ga and sombody unwittingly shoots a 12 ga round.

http://youtu.be/aTrHHbXDP1Y

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

yes it goes boom

Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

another example...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Why would anyone to that to such a beautiful gun??!!!

-Matt

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Why would anyone to that to such a beautiful gun??!!!
Probably not paying attention when they grabbed the ammo box, or when they put the unused shells back in the box. Unfortunately, this happens more often than most people think. I used to shoot trap with a guy who had 12 and 20 gauge barrel sets for his Citori. One day, he didn't check the remaining shells in his holder (there were 3 20 ga. shells in it), and he dumped in the 12s he was going to use that day. He almost made it through the first 25 before one of the 20s made it into the upper barrel. Needless to say, he caught the bird with the lower after hearing a click, opened the shotgun, pulled the lower barel's hull, and reloaded both. He is VERY lucky that he is not dead or in need of someone else to put his zipper up and down to say the least. He donated the shotgun to one of the local hunter safety teachers as a visual aid. Now, if he hears a click from a loaded chamber, he double checks it BEFORE reloading the weapon, and after following hang\misfire procedures.

This was one of three times in 25 years of shooting that I have seen this happen. In all three cases, the shooter was not a newb. All were shooters with over a decade of experience. Just goes to show that it can happen to anybody. This is also why I keep my 20s and 12s in completely seperate cabinets, less chance of grabbing the wrong box.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Probably not paying attention when they grabbed the ammo box, or when they put the unused shells back in the box. Unfortunately, this happens more often than most people think. I used to shoot trap with a guy who had 12 and 20 gauge barrel sets for his Citori. One day, he didn't check the remaining shells in his holder (there were 3 20 ga. shells in it), and he dumped in the 12s he was going to use that day. He almost made it through the first 25 before one of the 20s made it into the upper barrel. Needless to say, he caught the bird with the lower after hearing a click, opened the shotgun, pulled the lower barel's hull, and reloaded both. He is VERY lucky that he is not dead or in need of someone else to put his zipper up and down to say the least. He donated the shotgun to one of the local hunter safety teachers as a visual aid. Now, if he hears a click from a loaded chamber, he double checks it BEFORE reloading the weapon, and after following hang\misfire procedures.

This was one of three times in 25 years of shooting that I have seen this happen. In all three cases, the shooter was not a newb. All were shooters with over a decade of experience. Just goes to show that it can happen to anybody. This is also why I keep my 20s and 12s in completely seperate cabinets, less chance of grabbing the wrong box.
Yeah I can see that happen. It almost happened to me once dove hunting. Well not quite almost, I just about to put a yellow shell in my 12 ga before I realized it was indeed yellow.

That day I was shooting my 12ga, and had loaned out the 20ga, so I had both types of ammo. I guess it's a good think I kept them in separate pockets.

If I ever had a shotgun as nice as the pictured one, I'd triple check my ammo.

-Matt

Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Yeah I can see that happen. It almost happened to me once dove hunting. Well not quite almost, I just about to put a yellow shell in my 12 ga before I realized it was indeed yellow.

That day I was shooting my 12ga, and had loaned out the 20ga, so I had both types of ammo. I guess it's a good think I kept them in separate pockets.

If I ever had a shotgun as nice as the pictured one, I'd triple check my ammo.
Like I said, it happens more often than we think. Last turkey season, I did a similar thing ^ with one of grandad's old doubles. Just sat down in the ground blind, pulled out 2 shells in the dark, and dropped 'em in. The one in the right chamber sounded right, the left one sounded wrong. Stuck my finger into the left chamber and thought, "Something just ain't right with this picture". Turned on the flashlight and looked in, and there was a shell inside the barrel. I unloaded the right chamber, and pointed the muzzels up, and a yellow shell fell out into my hand. It turned out that a friend of mine put a 20 ga. #4 shell into my box of 12 ga. 2 3\4 turkey loads by accident while we were paterning our turkey guns a week earlier. I didn't give him a major azz chewing, but he does triple check what box he puts shells into now. I'm just glad it happened to me, he might have put another shell in and let 'er rip. A 20 12 stacker is something my dad warned me about when I first started shooting, and that was as close as I ever want to be to having one. Especially with granpa's old Steven's Springfield. That's one that I can;t replace.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #9

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

Yes it can happen. However, I have also seen two or three videos using 870s and 500s dropping a 20 gauge round in the barrel and then firing a 12 gauge round, trying to get it to happen, and it didn't. And they were not using wimp rounds either. In any event I have seen two guns blow up and experienced one ruptured barrel personally and I don't want to test any of my guns so I strive to keep to one gauge per outing, and make sure I physically look at all the shells somewhere in the process.

What could have happened... did.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

show's you the mindset of many 870 and 500 owners...

People Like This