12GA load velocity??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12GA load velocity??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 12GA load velocity??

ok i know alot about shotguns...cuz thats the only thing i own.
but one thing i do NOT know much about is how the load weight affects the velocity. wich im not proud to admit.. but i need to know!

and heres why i ask. i like to buy a box of cheap birdshot & a box of steel BB's and make BB rounds out my birdshot to do some extra damage for the money spent... BUT the BB's being steel instead of lead...the round is noticeably lighter... i was wondering, since the load is now lighter.. will the velocity be increased? o.0

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Yes, the velocity will increase, BUT...you will likely run into pressure problems. Possibly catastrophic pressure problems. Steel shot requires diferent loadings with different wads because steel does not compress like lead shot does. Upon firing the lead shot will deform against each other (slightly) allowing a smooth pressure curve. The steel shot will not have that effect and pressures can spike to dangerous levels.

"Playing" with loads like you are planning on can and likely will end very badly for both you and your favorite shotgun.

Steel shot (BB's) may yield high initial velocity but will lose velocity more rapidly down range and does not penetrate as deep as dense material like lead. You will probably end up with most of the damage to you and your gun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #3

i see what your saying. and im not trying to discredit you..but im not "planning" on doint it, ive been loading empty shells for about a year...with LOTS of different things...(nothing that can be too dangerous)
but ive shot hundreds of these homemade loads...using the same gun.. so far no damage to me or my barrel :P

Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #4

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's bound to happen. Over time of excessive pressure, the metal WILL weaken. Then, boom. Just hope no one gets hurt. Look up loading data for steel shot loads. Be safe.....

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

so what your saying is.. that the steel bb's that have no give are causing extra pressure on the inside of the chamber? i can understand that.. but enough extra pressure to actually bust it?? i mean..thats some pretty thick steel there o.o

in all honesty, i most likely wont do it any more.. mainly cuz it takes to much time to load those things... grrrr why cant buckshot be as cheap as birdshot :/
it seems like ammo goes up by 1$ every time i visit the shop!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Shot shells are more prone to over pressure. Go by the book and your fine, as long as you dont deviate from published, tried data. It's there for that purpose.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.