Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga & bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

And just exactly what are "people like me"? I am not trying to start an argument, I am stating the fact that if you shoot a bear from your treestand in the name of self defense in my state you will lose your hunting privileges and get a serious penalty, even if you believe a bear is stalking you and you shoot it you will have the same result from the legal end. If you are going to kill an animal in self defense you better have tooth marks on your a$$ or you will be ran through the ringer. I am not an anti hunter or anti bear hunter, kill whatever you like but in my opinion lugging around an extra firearm, esp a long gun for fear of an animal that 99.99999% of the time is docile and fearful of humans is a little silly. You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. But whatever dude, to each his own.
Law means nothing to me when compared to my life. If I get fined for shooting a bear in defense then so be it, I'm not giving it a chance to maul me, it's a bear!! Lol

I fully expect that I'll never have a problem, but I want to be equipped for the rare chance that it might, no matter how rare. Isn't that the point of being a gun owner and carrier? Why would it be any different for the wild?

No surprise that the legal system is incompetent, but it is what it is and I'm here and I take full responsibility for my actions and decisions proudly. So should the occasion arise I won't be worried about some monetary fine. I highly doubt you would either.

This isn't a case of looking for trouble or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. That was an extreme exaggeration and I believe you far underestimate the nature of raw nature. But as you say to each their own, I don't mind carrying an extra piece of equip, not one bit.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #32

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I don't believe its an exaggeration as I stated before, bears have the weapons to do you harm but they generally won't do it, which you seem to agree with. Just sayin make sure its actually attacking before you shoot it is all, if I were attacked yes I would shoot it, you are right. I don't underestimate nature, I have hunted black bear for many years with and without hound dogs, I have been so close to them I could reach out and slap them on the a$$ if I wanted and have never been attacked or seen another person in the group attacked, not that it couldn't happen but being that I have had many of these experiences up close and personal with them the idea of them being out there with me doesn't bother me as much as it may some others. I would be more worried about our growing wolf population and lions infiltrating our area more and more than our bears. As far as your gun what you have is fine at relatively close range if you can hit where you aim. I have a buddy who has killed 2 bear with his 40 S&w Glock and another friend who's bro in law borrows his 357 every bear season as he has shot bear with it and prefers it to his 44 mag which doesn't make much sense to me but I have never compared to 2 in that manner.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I don't believe its an exaggeration as I stated before, bears have the weapons to do you harm but they generally won't do it, which you seem to agree with. Just sayin make sure its actually attacking before you shoot it is all, if I were attacked yes I would shoot it, you are right. I don't underestimate nature, I have hunted black bear for many years with and without hound dogs, I have been so close to them I could reach out and slap them on the a$$ if I wanted and have never been attacked or seen another person in the group attacked, not that it couldn't happen but being that I have had many of these experiences up close and personal with them the idea of them being out there with me doesn't bother me as much as it may some others. I would be more worried about our growing wolf population and lions infiltrating our area more and more than our bears. As far as your gun what you have is fine at relatively close range if you can hit where you aim. I have a buddy who has killed 2 bear with his 40 S&w Glock and another friend who's bro in law borrows his 357 every bear season as he has shot bear with it and prefers it to his 44 mag which doesn't make much sense to me but I have never compared to 2 in that manner.
Oh of course man, if it's just passing by I'll do the same. If you read my first post this was about bear and cat. I'm actually much more worried about the cat, to be honest, but bear being bigger it stands to reason that what could kill it surely would a cat. Which was it Sigfreid or Roy? I don't care how many pleasant experience people have with any animal, I know that a bear is a bear and nothing is docile every second of every day for its entire life. I won't risk anything based on statistics.

I think I will look more into 44 Magnums. Have a buddy with a 44mag revolver. Shot it once, kicked like a Mule and I didn't hit my target. Lol

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #34

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

"a 44mag revolver. Shot it once, kicked like a Mule and I didn't hit my target."

That sounds like a good choice.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

HockaLouis Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
"a 44mag revolver. Shot it once, kicked like a Mule and I didn't hit my target."

That sounds like a good choice.
Lol it was early on in my shooting experience. Like with anything it takes practice to hone a skill, especially with such a powerful cartridge, at the time I hadn't shot anything larger than 9mm.