12ga & bear? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga & bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
In OR you can carry a sidearm hunting any hunt…..long gun, not so much. My hunting sidearm is a 10mm perched in a Safariland ALS… handloaded hot. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy…….
I don’t think you’re asking about carrying a shotgun while bow hunting right? , that would be unwieldy as hell…..your 45 would work for protection while hunting too….just don’t start to shoot till you see the whites of his eyes.
I have seen lots of bears while out and only been "charged " at once and he was confused and a little hurt and it was a bluff thank god, other than that they high tail it the other way before you are aware they were there......if your hunting bear that’s different, carry a good powerful sidearm because wounded bears are NOT to be taken lightly, wounded anything for that matter......I am in OR too, this happened close to me , stupid move

http://www.kdrv.com/hunter-mauled-by-bear-outside-trail/

http://www.kdrv.com/bear-bite-victim-speaks-out/
When bow hunting it's mostly vehicle travel from spot to spot, some tree stand, with a little actual walking through brush and seeking out. I'm asking for the tree stand and to and from it. Obviously if the sucker were close enough and coming for me I'd use my 45 because there wouldn't be enough time to wrestle with a shotgun or rifle. But if it's illegal to possess a longgun during bow season I guess I'm SOL.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-26-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #22

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Do you have a concealed weapon permit? Depending on you state laws, a permit will allow you to carry whatever you feel the need to during any hunting season.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 930

The black bears and the griz are totally different in both strategies and weapons choice.
In AK we had both. And, as stated above, the black bears are easier to 'stop' than a griz. Many people carried a 12 ga as their 'fishing gun', but I carried my 45-70 Guides Rifle with a 400 gr load.
One of the strategies up there was to have a # 6 shot up first. It could be used to 'haze' a bear that was a little to close for comfort, and if you are charged up close it is nearly impossible to 'place' the slug exactly where it will stop the bear so the #6 at the 'nose' will blind and kill the sense of smell and allow you to side step the charge and finish the job with the slugs.
The mentality of the two varies a lot also, but that is another discussion!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Bless You!

Have you ever lusted after a 10mm or a 44mag? This could be just the excuse you need.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Bless You!

Have you ever lusted after a 10mm or a 44mag? This could be just the excuse you need.
I have, both. Lol and you're a terrible enabler!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #26

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
When bow hunting it's mostly vehicle travel from spot to spot, some tree stand, with a little actual walking through brush and seeking out. I'm asking for the tree stand and to and from it. Obviously if the sucker were close enough and coming for me I'd use my 45 because there wouldn't be enough time to wrestle with a shotgun or rifle. But if it's illegal to possess a longgun during bow season I guess I'm SOL.
Just curious, why would you feel you need protection from a bear while in the tree stand? Are you afraid they will climb the tree and try to maul you in the air? Or are you going to shoot at the bear to scare it away from your hunting area? I would advise against shooting at a bear from your treestand for any reason unless you have a bear hunting license and it is in season, this is generally not a self defense scenario and most likely to be considered an attempt at poaching even if this is not your intent. If you are in your stand and there is a bear present my advice would be to sit there quietly and wait for it to leave or do the opposite stand up and make yourself known to it and it will likely leave in a hurry. Black bears attacks on humans are so minimal I find it really is silly to worry about such a thing, most black bear attacks are tourist related and stem from people feeding the animals when they shouldn't be. You are more likely to be struck by lightening or killed by a stray dog than attacked by a wild bear.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

Just curious, why would you feel you need protection from a bear while in the tree stand? Are you afraid they will climb the tree and try to maul you in the air? Or are you going to shoot at the bear to scare it away from your hunting area? I would advise against shooting at a bear from your treestand for any reason unless you have a bear hunting license and it is in season, this is generally not a self defense scenario and most likely to be considered an attempt at poaching even if this is not your intent. If you are in your stand and there is a bear present my advice would be to sit there quietly and wait for it to leave or do the opposite stand up and make yourself known to it and it will likely leave in a hurry. Black bears attacks on humans are so minimal I find it really is silly to worry about such a thing, most black bear attacks are tourist related and stem from people feeding the animals when they shouldn't be. You are more likely to be struck by lightening or killed by a stray dog than attacked by a wild bear.
But if I have protection for such a case I'm less likely to be killed by anything other than natural causes. I don't care what the average is, is a wild and unpredictable animal, end of Story.

To me this is like saying just because plane crashes are so rare an unlikely to happen they shouldn't provide floatation seats or oxygen masks. It's a preventative measure for that "incase".

I agree the chances are low, but, simply put, I'm not taking my chances in become one of the statistics that people like you use to make a point for argument.

I'm not worried about any specific speculative circumstance, I'm just the prepared for type.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #28

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
But if I have protection for such a case I'm less likely to be killed by anything other than natural causes. I don't care what the average is, is a wild and unpredictable animal, end of Story.

To me this is like saying just because plane crashes are so rare an unlikely to happen they shouldn't provide floatation seats or oxygen masks. It's a preventative measure for that "incase".

I agree the chances are low, but, simply put, I'm not taking my chances in become one of the statistics that people like you use to make apoint for argument.

I'm not worried about any specific speculative circumstance, I'm just the prepared for type.
And just exactly what are "people like me"? I am not trying to start an argument, I am stating the fact that if you shoot a bear from your treestand in the name of self defense in my state you will lose your hunting privileges and get a serious penalty, even if you believe a bear is stalking you and you shoot it you will have the same result from the legal end. If you are going to kill an animal in self defense you better have tooth marks on your a$$ or you will be ran through the ringer. I am not an anti hunter or anti bear hunter, kill whatever you like but in my opinion lugging around an extra firearm, esp a long gun for fear of an animal that 99.99999% of the time is docile and fearful of humans is a little silly. You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. But whatever dude, to each his own.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
And just exactly what are "people like me"? I am not trying to start an argument, I am stating the fact that if you shoot a bear from your treestand in the name of self defense in my state you will lose your hunting privileges and get a serious penalty, even if you believe a bear is stalking you and you shoot it you will have the same result from the legal end. If you are going to kill an animal in self defense you better have tooth marks on your a$$ or you will be ran through the ringer. I am not an anti hunter or anti bear hunter, kill whatever you like but in my opinion lugging around an extra firearm, esp a long gun for fear of an animal that 99.99999% of the time is docile and fearful of humans is a little silly. You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. But whatever dude, to each his own.

A good bear brings a shovel for you to bury the body with.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #30

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Support the right to arm bears!

bear6.jpg