12ga & bear? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga & bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Black bear are often easier to kill than deer. Many many are shot with a bow. Your 45 is fine for black bear. Or any "deer" rifle caliber or shotgun. You don't say what state you are in. I lived in Minnesota for 50 years, where many bears are shot each year. In that time I do not remember of any bear attacks in that state. I chased many away by yelling at them.
Oregon State

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
In some respects I'd rather have a heavy FMJ .45 ball than the wrong .357. A soft point .357 can be deflected too easily. You need to punch through hide and fur, bone including a heavy skull perhaps, cut thru muscle, sinews, tendons, veins, and penetrate to the organ with a pistol.

Federal Vital-Shok CastCore is OK. Buffalo Bore and their excellent loads with Keith Semi-Wadcutters live in my light .44 Mag.

This stuff is always subjective, but you need to hit the right places with the right projectile. Kids particularly these days tend to overscompensate for poor shooting and the wrong ammunition with bigger caliber and more firepower.
No such thing as overkill in this game. Matter fact is rather go over than under, wouldn't you? Life and death and all...

Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #13

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

12 gauge with slugs or like stated above, 3" 000 buckshot.

But, if I was PLANNING on seeing a bear? Especially a Griz? .30-06 Springfield, please!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2412 Times on 1305 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Have you checked to see if you can carry a firearm while bow hunting? For big bears a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. Use solids not HP if you cant find Brenneke. For black bear, a good heavy loaded 44 mag like 300 grain solids and 4" max barrel length. If you have a serious confrontation you probably wont have time to unsling a shotgun. The "Alaskan" handguns are short barreled for a reason. They draw faster. Most black bears will back down but they usually do not bluff charge. If it charges you are in serious trouble. Do not run. Be aggressive. All bets are off if you get between a sow and a cub. You would probably be better served with bear spray.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

12 gauge with some Brenneke slugs or some 3'" 000 Buckshot and you're ready for any confrontation that comes your way.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
12 gauge with slugs or like stated above, 3" 000 buckshot.

But, if I was PLANNING on seeing a bear? Especially a Griz? .30-06 Springfield, please!
Hunting Brown ones? .30-06 Ackley Improved.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #17

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

In OR you can carry a sidearm hunting any hunt…..long gun, not so much. My hunting sidearm is a 10mm perched in a Safariland ALS… handloaded hot. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy…….
I don’t think you’re asking about carrying a shotgun while bow hunting right? , that would be unwieldy as hell…..your 45 would work for protection while hunting too….just don’t start to shoot till you see the whites of his eyes.
I have seen lots of bears while out and only been "charged " at once and he was confused and a little hurt and it was a bluff thank god, other than that they high tail it the other way before you are aware they were there......if your hunting bear that’s different, carry a good powerful sidearm because wounded bears are NOT to be taken lightly, wounded anything for that matter......I am in OR too, this happened close to me , stupid move

http://www.kdrv.com/hunter-mauled-by-bear-outside-trail/

http://www.kdrv.com/bear-bite-victim-speaks-out/

Last edited by oli700; 12-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.
blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #18

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I live in Northern WI where our black bear population is near out of hand with the refusal of the state to issue enough kill tags every year and the only attack I have heard of in recent memory has been by a bear which was wounded in the hunt and walked up on by the hunter. Black Bear in my opinion are the biggest chicken in the woods, yes they have the weapons to kill you but they aren't interested in doing so the overwhelming majority of the time, they will run, just yell at them or make yourself known and they are gone. Cats could be a different problem I assume you mean Lion, not bobcats, lol. Those I would most definitely want some protection from. Also black bear aren't the super beast people make them out to be, ya they have a hard skull and some fat and hide but you don't need a cannon to kill them, especially at the ranges you would be shooting in a bear attack, if you shoot every bear you see which you think may charge you you will probably have an issue with your local DNR accusing you of bear poaching. Around here shooting an animal out of season is a serious thing and carries serious consequences as far as your hunting rights go so if you are going to shoot and claim self defense it best be the case and better yet provable or you won't be buying a hunting license for a few years and you'll be mortgaging your house to pay the fines.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Last edited by blucoondawg; 12-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
hiwall Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default .45 ACP +P Hard Cast Flat Nose

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=295

And buy the next heavier recoil spring for your .45...

Good luck!
buffalo-bore-45-acp-p-hard-cast-fn.jpg  

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #20

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Have you checked to see if you can carry a firearm while bow hunting? For big bears a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. Use solids not HP if you cant find Brenneke. For black bear, a good heavy loaded 44 mag like 300 grain solids and 4" max barrel length. If you have a serious confrontation you probably wont have time to unsling a shotgun. The "Alaskan" handguns are short barreled for a reason. They draw faster. Most black bears will back down but they usually do not bluff charge. If it charges you are in serious trouble. Do not run. Be aggressive. All bets are off if you get between a sow and a cub. You would probably be better served with bear spray.
That was going to be my question. Many states won't let you have a modern long gun on a hunt during bow season.

Also I've never had problems with black bears being aggressive. Usually they take off during hunting season at the slightest hint of a hunter in the woods. Of you were in Brown bear territory it might be a different story.

As others have mentioned though a 12 ga with a good Brenneke slug would be my first choice over a handgun. But if using a handgun use heavy bonded bullets, same with a rifle. Penetration is going to be the primary issue.

Bear spray works if you don't have a firearm option. Get one the size of a small fire extinguisher.