12ga 3in buckshot availability
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12ga 3in buckshot availability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default 12ga 3in buckshot availability

I'm in suburban (not Cook Cty) Chicago area.
Why is 3" 12ga buckshot impossible to find but most places have 2.75" in stock ?? This is how it's been at BassPro , Cabelas (including NW Indiana location) and all other local gun shops for weeks !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Because 70mm is core. 3" is off the beaten track, and I'd expect the bigger places to have some if it weren't for the run on guns and ammo.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-31-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

for some reason even before all this ammo panic buying, the 3" buckshot wasn't very common i my area either. 2 3/4" could be found just about anywhere but not 3". i do still have a few 5 round boxes left.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

I only know of 2 or 3 stores in my region, (eastern PA, western NY) that ever have 3 inch Buck in stock. When it is in stock, it doesn't exactly fly off the shelves. The Bass Pro in Alden NY, the Dick's in Hamburg NY, and the Gander Mtn. in Erie PA and the one in Tonawanda NY almost always have a few boxes kicking around. Most of what I find around here is 2 3/4 inch.

My theory on it: There a far less glutons for punishment out there than people think. Folks see 3 inch magnums, and they think shoulder breaker or overkill. Most do not realize that the difference between the two is the number of pellets inside, not the powder charge. That and the fact that there are folks like me out there who still own 2 3/4 inch only shotguns. There are quite a few of us still out there who buy the shorter shells so we don't put a 3 incher into a 2 3/4 inch chamber by accident.

Just my thoughts on this trend. YMMV.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/692749/winchester-double-x-magnum-ammunition-12-gauge-3-buffered-00-copper-plated-buckshot-12-pellets-box-of-5

When all else fails.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I only know of 2 or 3 stores in my region, (eastern PA, western NY) that ever have 3 inch Buck in stock. When it is in stock, it doesn't exactly fly off the shelves. The Bass Pro in Alden NY, the Dick's in Hamburg NY, and the Gander Mtn. in Erie PA and the one in Tonawanda NY almost always have a few boxes kicking around. Most of what I find around here is 2 3/4 inch.

My theory on it: There a far less glutons for punishment out there than people think. Folks see 3 inch magnums, and they think shoulder breaker or overkill. Most do not realize that the difference between the two is the number of pellets inside, not the powder charge. That and the fact that there are folks like me out there who still own 2 3/4 inch only shotguns. There are quite a few of us still out there who buy the shorter shells so we don't put a 3 incher into a 2 3/4 inch chamber by accident.

Just my thoughts on this trend. YMMV.
The powder charge has a little too do with the recoil but the number of shot or the weight of it is mostly what dictates the recoil go shoot the same exactly Turkey load one with 2 oz of shot and one with. 1 3/4oz of shot and the 2 oz will.have a lot more recoil

Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sorry, but I read the internet "fact" stated all too frequently that magnum 12 ga. loads are the same as (and sometimes weaker than) standard loads, that they just have more pellets, and I want to be very clear: that is NOT correct. Far from it!

A magnum load has a significant weight-of-shot increase and a relatively small decrease in velocity. Yeah, weight is discounted and velocity is squared in energy calculations vs. linear, but magnum loads simply have much more net energy. 2-3/4" standard 00 Buckshot loads compared to a 2-3/4" Magnum loads have a 33% increase in number/weight of projectiles and only a 35 fps, or 2.6%, decrease in velocity. If you are not familiar with the math common sense should tell you that is more powerful. All magnums produce more muzzle energy, plain and simple. They use more and/or different powder. More energy is more power. I did the energy calculations for you and show the comparative results below, but, if you don't believe them trust the felt recoil without chalking it up to the greater weight of the shot load please.

General Information:
Shot Gauge Length-in-Inches Muzzle-Velocity Shot-Count Energy-above-Standard
00 12 2-3/4" Standard 1325 FPS 9 Pellets
00 12 2-3/4" Magnum 1290 FPS 12 Pellets 26% more energy than standard shell
00 12 3" Magnum 1210 FPS 15 Pellets 39% More energy than standard shell

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-31-2013 at 08:41 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

What are you planning on using this for? Buckshot is a poor choice for deer (even "bucks") and two legged vermin are not very tough. 2 3/4" is plenty for them.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

If they are using it for home defense it would be an ok choice. But 3" buck isn't a good game round

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Sorry, but I read the internet "fact" stated all too frequently that magnum 12 ga. loads are the same as (and sometimes weaker than) standard loads, that they just have more pellets, and I want to be very clear: that is NOT correct. Far from it!

A magnum load has a significant weight-of-shot increase and a relatively small decrease in velocity. Yeah, weight is discounted and velocity is squared in energy calculations vs. linear, but magnum loads simply have much more net energy. 2-3/4" standard 00 Buckshot loads compared to a 2-3/4" Magnum loads have a 33% increase in number/weight of projectiles and only a 35 fps, or 2.6%, decrease in velocity. If you are not familiar with the math common sense should tell you that is more powerful. All magnums produce more muzzle energy, plain and simple. They use more and/or different powder. More energy is more power. I did the energy calculations for you and show the comparative results below, but, if you don't believe them trust the felt recoil without chalking it up to the greater weight of the shot load please.

General Information:
Shot Gauge Length-in-Inches Muzzle-Velocity Shot-Count Energy-above-Standard
00 12 2-3/4" Standard 1325 FPS 9 Pellets
00 12 2-3/4" Magnum 1290 FPS 12 Pellets 26% more energy than standard shell
00 12 3" Magnum 1210 FPS 15 Pellets 39% More energy than standard shell
Thanks for posting this, and clearing this up. I never really checked the velocities myself for the reason listed in my OP. Most of my 20s and 12s are 2 3/4 only, so I never bother with 3 inch to keep from causing a safety hazard. No sense in possibly destroying a pefectly good older shotgun, and I really don't want to be stuck wiping my azz with a hook.

Thanks again Matt.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?