Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   12ga 3in buckshot availability (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/12ga-3in-buckshot-availability-87842/)

PeterSteele 03-30-2013 07:56 PM

12ga 3in buckshot availability

I'm in suburban (not Cook Cty) Chicago area.
Why is 3" 12ga buckshot impossible to find but most places have 2.75" in stock ?? This is how it's been at BassPro , Cabelas (including NW Indiana location) and all other local gun shops for weeks !

HockaLouis 03-30-2013 08:01 PM

Because 70mm is core. 3" is off the beaten track, and I'd expect the bigger places to have some if it weren't for the run on guns and ammo.

Axxe55 03-30-2013 08:55 PM

for some reason even before all this ammo panic buying, the 3" buckshot wasn't very common i my area either. 2 3/4" could be found just about anywhere but not 3". i do still have a few 5 round boxes left.

kfox75 03-30-2013 10:58 PM

I only know of 2 or 3 stores in my region, (eastern PA, western NY) that ever have 3 inch Buck in stock. When it is in stock, it doesn't exactly fly off the shelves. The Bass Pro in Alden NY, the Dick's in Hamburg NY, and the Gander Mtn. in Erie PA and the one in Tonawanda NY almost always have a few boxes kicking around. Most of what I find around here is 2 3/4 inch.

My theory on it: There a far less glutons for punishment out there than people think. Folks see 3 inch magnums, and they think shoulder breaker or overkill. Most do not realize that the difference between the two is the number of pellets inside, not the powder charge. That and the fact that there are folks like me out there who still own 2 3/4 inch only shotguns. There are quite a few of us still out there who buy the shorter shells so we don't put a 3 incher into a 2 3/4 inch chamber by accident.

Just my thoughts on this trend. YMMV.

303tom 03-31-2013 03:50 AM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/692749/winchester-double-x-magnum-ammunition-12-gauge-3-buffered-00-copper-plated-buckshot-12-pellets-box-of-5

akers06 03-31-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75 (Post 1197188)
I only know of 2 or 3 stores in my region, (eastern PA, western NY) that ever have 3 inch Buck in stock. When it is in stock, it doesn't exactly fly off the shelves. The Bass Pro in Alden NY, the Dick's in Hamburg NY, and the Gander Mtn. in Erie PA and the one in Tonawanda NY almost always have a few boxes kicking around. Most of what I find around here is 2 3/4 inch.

My theory on it: There a far less glutons for punishment out there than people think. Folks see 3 inch magnums, and they think shoulder breaker or overkill. Most do not realize that the difference between the two is the number of pellets inside, not the powder charge. That and the fact that there are folks like me out there who still own 2 3/4 inch only shotguns. There are quite a few of us still out there who buy the shorter shells so we don't put a 3 incher into a 2 3/4 inch chamber by accident.

Just my thoughts on this trend. YMMV.

The powder charge has a little too do with the recoil but the number of shot or the weight of it is mostly what dictates the recoil go shoot the same exactly Turkey load one with 2 oz of shot and one with. 1 3/4oz of shot and the 2 oz will.have a lot more recoil

MattShlock 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

Sorry, but I read the internet "fact" stated all too frequently that magnum 12 ga. loads are the same as (and sometimes weaker than) standard loads, that they just have more pellets, and I want to be very clear: that is NOT correct. Far from it!

A magnum load has a significant weight-of-shot increase and a relatively small decrease in velocity. Yeah, weight is discounted and velocity is squared in energy calculations vs. linear, but magnum loads simply have much more net energy. 2-3/4" standard 00 Buckshot loads compared to a 2-3/4" Magnum loads have a 33% increase in number/weight of projectiles and only a 35 fps, or 2.6%, decrease in velocity. If you are not familiar with the math common sense should tell you that is more powerful. All magnums produce more muzzle energy, plain and simple. They use more and/or different powder. More energy is more power. I did the energy calculations for you and show the comparative results below, but, if you don't believe them trust the felt recoil without chalking it up to the greater weight of the shot load please.

General Information:
Shot Gauge Length-in-Inches Muzzle-Velocity Shot-Count Energy-above-Standard
00 12 2-3/4" Standard 1325 FPS 9 Pellets
00 12 2-3/4" Magnum 1290 FPS 12 Pellets 26% more energy than standard shell
00 12 3" Magnum 1210 FPS 15 Pellets 39% More energy than standard shell

robocop10mm 03-31-2013 09:29 PM

What are you planning on using this for? Buckshot is a poor choice for deer (even "bucks") and two legged vermin are not very tough. 2 3/4" is plenty for them.

OandB 03-31-2013 11:09 PM

If they are using it for home defense it would be an ok choice. But 3" buck isn't a good game round

kfox75 04-01-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattShlock (Post 1198241)
Sorry, but I read the internet "fact" stated all too frequently that magnum 12 ga. loads are the same as (and sometimes weaker than) standard loads, that they just have more pellets, and I want to be very clear: that is NOT correct. Far from it!

A magnum load has a significant weight-of-shot increase and a relatively small decrease in velocity. Yeah, weight is discounted and velocity is squared in energy calculations vs. linear, but magnum loads simply have much more net energy. 2-3/4" standard 00 Buckshot loads compared to a 2-3/4" Magnum loads have a 33% increase in number/weight of projectiles and only a 35 fps, or 2.6%, decrease in velocity. If you are not familiar with the math common sense should tell you that is more powerful. All magnums produce more muzzle energy, plain and simple. They use more and/or different powder. More energy is more power. I did the energy calculations for you and show the comparative results below, but, if you don't believe them trust the felt recoil without chalking it up to the greater weight of the shot load please.

General Information:
Shot Gauge Length-in-Inches Muzzle-Velocity Shot-Count Energy-above-Standard
00 12 2-3/4" Standard 1325 FPS 9 Pellets
00 12 2-3/4" Magnum 1290 FPS 12 Pellets 26% more energy than standard shell
00 12 3" Magnum 1210 FPS 15 Pellets 39% More energy than standard shell

Thanks for posting this, and clearing this up. I never really checked the velocities myself for the reason listed in my OP. Most of my 20s and 12s are 2 3/4 only, so I never bother with 3 inch to keep from causing a safety hazard. No sense in possibly destroying a pefectly good older shotgun, and I really don't want to be stuck wiping my azz with a hook.:eek:

Thanks again Matt.