12g for Hog and Home and more? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12g for Hog and Home and more?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So, I want to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. Let me preface my decision by saying that all firearm decisions are compromises. There is no one "best", just what one perceives will work best for them.

I chose to buy the Mossberg 500 Combo from Dick's Sporting Goods for $349.

I chose the 500 because:

• I like the placement of the safety better on the Mossberg
  • I like the placement of the Action Release better on the Mossberg
  • The fit (length of pull) was better for me with the Mossberg
  • The 500 came with an integrated cheekpad (the Remington didn't) that felt good
  • $150 cheaper than the Remington 870 Combo (for this I can get a Red Dot Site, a hard case, and plenty of ammo)
As for the Remington:
  • I'd concede that it is probably slightly better quality
  • It doesn't have the looseness in the fore-end that the Mossberg has
  • It came with a better scope (although I have no plans on using the scope and would upgrade it if I did)
Ultimately, the advantages of the Mossberg (location of controls, fit, and price) couldn't be overcome by the incremental better quality of the Remington for me.

Thanks, again!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 08-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
OK. So I'm going to buy a shotgun for Hog Hunting and for Home Defense. However, I'm a realist and I suppose that this gun will never be shot in a true defensive role, but I want it to be able to fill that role, if it should ever come to that.
  • I know that I want a 12 g, pump action
  • I know that I don't want to spent a lot
  • I know that I will hunt hog with it
  • I know that I will target shoot at the range with it
  • I think that I want either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870
  • I think that I may shoot trap or skeet or 3 gun (this is far more likely than actually defending my home)
  • I may use it to hunt duck or turkey in the future (this is still more likely than defending my home)
So, here's my long convoluted set of questions.
  • Given the above, what barrel length should I get?
  • Should I be looking at a 24" barrel? Will that work as a universal length or will it only be good for 4-legged game?
  • Do I want rifled or smooth bore, and why?
  • Do I want vented rib, ported, or fluted?
  • Should I buy a model that comes with 2 barrels? If so, which 2 lengths would most satisfy my needs?
  • Or should I just buy a single barrel gun and buy additional barrels later as I need them?

A simpler way of answering this is: If you were in my situation, given my criteria, what would you buy? (And why?)

I know that I'm asking a lot, so answer any, all, or none of these!

Thanks! (I realize that I am asking for a serious shotgun education, here.)

Well my cousin is an avid hog hunter and his situation allows him to hunt every week through the fall, winter and spring. He has taken literaly hundreds of hogs with an OLD Mossberg 500 with a short smoothbore barrel using slugs. He hunts thick GA swamps and palmetto flats where the shots are fast and furious and never very long.