Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   12g for Hog and Home and more? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/12g-hog-home-more-46729/)

knfxda 08-12-2011 08:20 PM

12g for Hog and Home and more?

OK. So I'm going to buy a shotgun for Hog Hunting and for Home Defense. However, I'm a realist and I suppose that this gun will never be shot in a true defensive role, but I want it to be able to fill that role, if it should ever come to that.
  • I know that I want a 12 g, pump action
  • I know that I don't want to spent a lot
  • I know that I will hunt hog with it
  • I know that I will target shoot at the range with it
  • I think that I want either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870
  • I think that I may shoot trap or skeet or 3 gun (this is far more likely than actually defending my home)
  • I may use it to hunt duck or turkey in the future (this is still more likely than defending my home)
So, here's my long convoluted set of questions.
  • Given the above, what barrel length should I get?
  • Should I be looking at a 24" barrel? Will that work as a universal length or will it only be good for 4-legged game?
  • Do I want rifled or smooth bore, and why?
  • Do I want vented rib, ported, or fluted?
  • Should I buy a model that comes with 2 barrels? If so, which 2 lengths would most satisfy my needs?
  • Or should I just buy a single barrel gun and buy additional barrels later as I need them?

A simpler way of answering this is: If you were in my situation, given my criteria, what would you buy? (And why?)

I know that I'm asking a lot, so answer any, all, or none of these!

Thanks! (I realize that I am asking for a serious shotgun education, here.)

:D

fireguy 08-12-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knfxda (Post 561660)
OK. So I'm going to buy a shotgun for Hog Hunting and for Home Defense. However, I'm a realist and I suppose that this gun will never be shot in a true defensive role, but I want it to be able to fill that role, if it should ever come to that.
  • I know that I want a 12 g, pump action
  • I know that I don't want to spent a lot
  • I know that I will hunt hog with it
  • I know that I will target shoot at the range with it
  • I think that I want either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870
  • I think that I may shoot trap or skeet or 3 gun (this is far more likely than actually defending my home)
  • I may use it to hunt duck or turkey in the future (this is still more likely than defending my home)
So, here's my long convoluted set of questions.
  • Given the above, what barrel length should I get?

Most SD shotguns have either 18/18.5 or 20" barrels. Shorter is better for confined spaces like hallways and covering doorways from concealment/cover.
  • Should I be looking at a 24" barrel? Will that work as a universal length or will it only be good for 4-legged game?
    24" barrel to me would be much too long.
  • Do I want rifled or smooth bore, and why?
    Smooth bore. Rifled barrel precludes using shotshells effectively.
  • Do I want vented rib, ported, or fluted?
    I am happy with a plain barrel. A breeching extension on the end would be sweet, but I don't currently have one on my shotgun.
  • Should I buy a model that comes with 2 barrels? If so, which 2 lengths would most satisfy my needs?
    A combo would be a very good choice if you do not currently own a shotgun. You get double use out of the same receiver. I would get an 18.5" barrel with a 28 or whatever they offer as the sporting barrel, one with changeable chokes would be optimal.
  • Or should I just buy a single barrel gun and buy additional barrels later as I need them?
    It is probably less expensive to get a combination set up. Sporting barrels for Mossy and Rem 870's are pretty easy to find, though.

A simpler way of answering this is: If you were in my situation, given my criteria, what would you buy? (And why?)
I almost picked up a used Mossy 590A1 last week for a very low price. I wanted one of those several years ago when they were very hard to get and got a Stoeger M2000 instead. I wanted an autoloader because I had never had a shotgun with that action. Next up would be a Remington 11-87 or a Rem 870 Express, those can be found a pretty good prices.

Aftermarket parts to add external shell carriers, magazine extensions, stocks, and foregrips are pretty easy to find for the Mossberg and Remingtons. I would stick to those for that reason. I have a pistol grip full stock on my Stoeger and it is a real aid when shooting rapidly. I would get a pistol grip stocked model.

I know that I'm asking a lot, so answer any, all, or none of these!

Thanks! (I realize that I am asking for a serious shotgun education, here.)

Hope this helps you out. Shotgunning is lots of fun.

robocop10mm 08-12-2011 09:49 PM

AI don't care for the 500's. The barrel attachment is just goofy. It does not allow you to add an extended mag tube. The 590 is a much better gun, IMHO. It allows more flexability.

The 870 use to be the standard all others were held to. Remington has apparently cut some corners and the current crop have issues, especially with the shell stops mounted/staked into the receiver. They have a nasty habit of coming out. As an agency we have abandoned the 870 for the 590.

My personal preference is for the Winchester 1200/1300 series and the FN's made in the same mold. The trigger group is modular and much easier to maintain. The action is much faster than either the Remington or Mossberg.

Unfortunately, Winchester went Tango Uniform for a while and the new replacement pump guns sold under that banner are as of yet unproven.

Sniper03 08-12-2011 10:18 PM

It is only my thought, that you can shop around and find an 870 Remington Standard Model or three inch model that is used but like new at most gun shows and dealers and at a fair price. Most of the time they have not been shot much at all and the person rather isn't using it or traded it for something they wanted more. I like the standard grade 870s I am not in the the expresses and Light Weight Models. Also you can find optional barrels for them at a reasonable price. For what all you want to use it for one barrel is certainly not going to meet the ticket. If you are going to use it at first for Hog hunting and Target Shooting other than Clay targets, I would go with the 20" Rifle Sight Barrel. You can also get a mount to mount a scope on it. Then later on you can get a Modified Choke Barrel and a Full Choke Barrel and have everything for most applications you would ever want it for. I have this identical set up with the two extra barrels. I can hunt deer, hogs, Bear with the 20' Rifle Sight Barrel with slugs or 00, while I hunt Quail, Pheasant and other game with the modified. It is also good for doing a little skeet shooting. And last the 30' Full Choke Barrel for Duck, Geese, Fox and Coyotes and in the open Pheasant fields as well as a little trap shooting. I would also get the Modified and the Full in the vented rib barrels.
Good Luck!

shootinfool 08-13-2011 01:23 AM

If you want a pump i would go with a remmy 870 or a winchester 1300. I have both and in my mind they are both good shotguns, it just comes down to which one you would rather prefer.

"it flies it dies", "its brown its down"

knfxda 08-13-2011 03:00 AM

So, here's where I am right now: (All prices from Bud's)

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum: $345/shipped
28" Vent Rib, Rem-Choke (Mod)
**Also have an option of a 26" in synthetic for the same price**

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Combo: $481/Shipped
26" Vented Rib, Rem-Choke (Mod) & 20" Rifled

So, basically do I go with the 26", the 28" or a combo with 20" and 26". They will all chamber 2-3/4 tp 3-1/2. They are all Magnum.

I'm leaning towards the combo. Or should I save the $135 and use the 26" as a universal shotgun?

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Gripsmeister 08-13-2011 04:59 PM

Just so you know. Have you shot hogs before? Wild hogs are tough skined and slugs may have a bit of a hard time putting them down. You need something with good velocity and penetration. You will more than likely only wound and get only one shot and not do the trick. Then hes gonna run off and die somewhere you cant find him. Bird shot or buckshot is a no go. I dont think its a good idea for hogs.

knfxda 08-13-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gripsmeister (Post 562252)
Just so you know. Have you shot hogs before? Wild hogs are tough skined and slugs may have a bit of a hard time putting them down. You need something with good velocity and penetration. You will more than likely only wound and get only one shot and not do the trick. Then hes gonna run off and die somewhere you cant find him. Bird shot or buckshot is a no go. I dont think its a good idea for hogs.

It'll be a guided hunt with dogs. Not worried about the hog running off where he can't be found. Also, the guide actually will provide a Wingmaster and recommends Remington Slugger ammo for hogs as it penetrates undergrowth with less deflection than a rifle bullet.

Given the landscape and the dogs, these aren't long shots.

I won't be doing this until the fall, but I want to buy now and get proficient between now and then. Get setup right, figure out what ammo works best in the gun, and get some range experience under my belt.

My problem now is that I'm getting so many varying opinions that I'm still struggling with my decision.

The Mossberg 500 Slugster 12g 24": $301/shipped
is now in the mix!

It's a rifled barrel and I'm not 100% sold one way or the other. I think that the smooth bore would work at the distances I'd be shooting here in the South Florida Everglades/Lake Ocheechobee )(<50 yards) and the ammo would be 1/2 the price.

However, the rifled barrel might be more versitile in that it would give me options to hunt accurrately at greater distances and there's no such thing a too accurrate!

:confused:

shootinfool 08-13-2011 09:39 PM

I agree with gripsmeister. You got some balls if your gonna shoot a hog with a 12 ga. I would rather be 200 yards away and hit him with a rem 700 in a .308. But i see your problem because you only have 50 yards.

"it flies it dies", "its brown its down"

cgersty 08-13-2011 09:53 PM

I own a remington 870 12 ga, and a mossy 500 slugmaster 12 ga that I inherited from my great great uncle, that slug gun is a tack driver I use 3" hornady sst and a nikon slug hunter scope, popped a doe last year at 167yds double lung, I also bought a NEF Pardner pump for my wife for her birthday, it was 179 otd at walmart, and is a very solid well put together inexpensive gun, we have shot the remmy sluggers out of it with a mod choke and its pretty damn accurate as well, it is identical side to side with my 870, its just as smooth and it swings very well. As far as the hogs go they havent migrated to my part of illinois yet so I have not hunted them but I know they are tough and mean, and I would want to make sure i dont have one charging me after being enraged by a giant lead bullet hitting him.

Gersty