Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Which 12 Gauge Semi-auto to buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which 12 Gauge Semi-auto to buy???

I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto shotgun. I would like opinions on which is a good choice. I've had many people tell me I should go with the Remington 11-87. However, I was looking at the Weatherby 12 Gauge SA-08 Black Synthetic and seems to offer great features at a reasonable price, very similar to 11-87 and Mossberg 935. Nobody I have talked to here in NJ and PA are familiar with Weatherby shotguns. My primary use at first will be trap and skeet. I will then be goose hunting, pheasant, and duck. Any suggestions???

Last edited by eyezlo; 05-15-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: More info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What are you going to be using the scattergun for? How many rounds are you going to run thru it in a year?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hands down!

SAGIA 12

Name:  Saiga 12.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  12.0 KB

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411536444
Russian American Armory - SAIGA 12 w/Sight Base 19 inch, 12 ga.
www.MidwestHuntersOutlet.com: RAA Saiga 12 Shotgun, IZ108, Blue, 12 Ga 3", Semi-
Russian American Armory - SAIGA 12 19 inch, 12 ga.
Specials/Sale Items by Russian American Arms - RAA SAIGA 12 SEMI AUTO AK ACTION SHOTGUN 12/19" BK/SYN CALIF by Personal Security Zone

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My personal shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super90, and I love it.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
SoL

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was gonna chime in with Saiga 12.

But some foo' got there first :P

So yeah, SAIGA 12!
Really bloody good, and detachable box magazine reloading? Hell yes.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #6

RBolt is correct. A good recommendation cannot be made if one doesn't know what the gun is going to be used for. The Saiga would be a great personal defense arm, but I doubt it would be much fun hunting dove, quail or pheasant. It also wouldn't be very good for skeet or trap. More info please.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
RBolt is correct. A good recommendation cannot be made if one doesn't know what the gun is going to be used for. The Saiga would be a great personal defense arm, but I doubt it would be much fun hunting dove, quail or pheasant. It also wouldn't be very good for skeet or trap. More info please.
+2 What is the primary purpose of the shotgun?

I have a Remington 1100 in 12 gauge magnum. The beautiful thing about it is you can switch barrels. I have three separate barrels to choose from. Excellent duck, goose, and pheasant gun.

But for hunting dove I use a Browning Citori O/U in 20 gauge.

These are both great hunting shotguns, but you could do better for personal defense. You gotta tell what the use will be.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezlo View Post
I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto shotgun. I would like opinions on which is a good choice. I've had many people tell me I should go with the Remington 11-87. However, I was looking at the Weatherby 12 Gauge SA-08 Black Synthetic and seems to offer great features at a reasonable price, very similar to 11-87 and Mossberg 935. Nobody I have talked to here in NJ and PA are familiar with Weatherby shotguns. My primary use at first will be trap and skeet. I will then be goose hunting, pheasant, and duck. Any suggestions???
You should go to your local gun stores and do the following:
1. check out the resale on a mossberg shotgun and see what you think.
2. Put some of the ones you're interested in up to your shoulder and see which one feels the best to you.
3. Try a browning gold hunter. I love mine, reasonably priced ($699 on sale at academy sports). It doesn't hang up, even with the crappiest light-loads you can buy at walmart.
4. Make sure you get a gun with interchangeable choke tubes if you go used.

You might find out where the local gun club is and ask them if you could rent a gun and try it out, and quiz the locals on what they find the most reliable, then actually watch them and see how many hang-ups they have.

Just some suggestions,
JBJ

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #9

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Add me to the many people who suggested an 11-87. Soft shooting, good pointing, reliable. I do not care for recoil or inertia operated actions personally, especially for clay target games.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #10

Liked 274 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Beretta AL 391 Urika

One of my combination use shotguns for target (sporting clays and skeet) and hunting (phesant and duck) is a Beretta AL391 Urika. Mine is a 28" with a 3" chamber, came with 4 choke tubes (you'll have to order the target choke seperate) and the target rib barrel. This puppy is light has excellent balance and is a good shooter. I've had it for several years now and put well over 1000 rounds through it with no problems ever. Mostly have used for sporting clays although it's not my primary target shotgun this one will fill the bill very well for clay targets and hunting.

I believe the new model number for this Beretta is AL391, Urika 2.

If you haven't bought one yet I strongly reccomend you check out this shotgun first before you make your final decision on purchase.

Again, this shotgun, IMO, is real nice and feels good to hold as well as shoot.

Last edited by mrm14; 05-19-2009 at 11:22 PM.