Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Which 12 Gauge Semi-auto to buy??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/12-gauge-semi-auto-buy-13878/)

eyezlo 05-14-2009 10:25 PM

Which 12 Gauge Semi-auto to buy???

I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto shotgun. I would like opinions on which is a good choice. I've had many people tell me I should go with the Remington 11-87. However, I was looking at the Weatherby 12 Gauge SA-08 Black Synthetic and seems to offer great features at a reasonable price, very similar to 11-87 and Mossberg 935. Nobody I have talked to here in NJ and PA are familiar with Weatherby shotguns. My primary use at first will be trap and skeet. I will then be goose hunting, pheasant, and duck. Any suggestions???

R-BOLT 05-15-2009 02:32 AM

What are you going to be using the scattergun for? How many rounds are you going to run thru it in a year?

canebrake 05-15-2009 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hands down!

SAGIA 12

Attachment 3201

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411536444
Russian American Armory - SAIGA 12 w/Sight Base 19 inch, 12 ga.
www.MidwestHuntersOutlet.com: RAA Saiga 12 Shotgun, IZ108, Blue, 12 Ga 3", Semi-
Russian American Armory - SAIGA 12 19 inch, 12 ga.
Specials/Sale Items by Russian American Arms - RAA SAIGA 12 SEMI AUTO AK ACTION SHOTGUN 12/19" BK/SYN CALIF by Personal Security Zone

Bighead 05-15-2009 05:31 AM

My personal shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super90, and I love it.

SoL 05-15-2009 06:02 AM

I was gonna chime in with Saiga 12.

But some foo' got there first :P

So yeah, SAIGA 12!
Really bloody good, and detachable box magazine reloading? Hell yes.

chucksolo69 05-15-2009 05:09 PM

RBolt is correct. A good recommendation cannot be made if one doesn't know what the gun is going to be used for. The Saiga would be a great personal defense arm, but I doubt it would be much fun hunting dove, quail or pheasant. It also wouldn't be very good for skeet or trap. More info please.

Glenn R 05-15-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucksolo69 (Post 106314)
RBolt is correct. A good recommendation cannot be made if one doesn't know what the gun is going to be used for. The Saiga would be a great personal defense arm, but I doubt it would be much fun hunting dove, quail or pheasant. It also wouldn't be very good for skeet or trap. More info please.

+2 What is the primary purpose of the shotgun?

I have a Remington 1100 in 12 gauge magnum. The beautiful thing about it is you can switch barrels. I have three separate barrels to choose from. Excellent duck, goose, and pheasant gun.

But for hunting dove I use a Browning Citori O/U in 20 gauge.

These are both great hunting shotguns, but you could do better for personal defense. You gotta tell what the use will be.

58evinrude 05-19-2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezlo (Post 106102)
I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto shotgun. I would like opinions on which is a good choice. I've had many people tell me I should go with the Remington 11-87. However, I was looking at the Weatherby 12 Gauge SA-08 Black Synthetic and seems to offer great features at a reasonable price, very similar to 11-87 and Mossberg 935. Nobody I have talked to here in NJ and PA are familiar with Weatherby shotguns. My primary use at first will be trap and skeet. I will then be goose hunting, pheasant, and duck. Any suggestions???

You should go to your local gun stores and do the following:
1. check out the resale on a mossberg shotgun and see what you think.
2. Put some of the ones you're interested in up to your shoulder and see which one feels the best to you.
3. Try a browning gold hunter. I love mine, reasonably priced ($699 on sale at academy sports). It doesn't hang up, even with the crappiest light-loads you can buy at walmart.
4. Make sure you get a gun with interchangeable choke tubes if you go used.

You might find out where the local gun club is and ask them if you could rent a gun and try it out, and quiz the locals on what they find the most reliable, then actually watch them and see how many hang-ups they have.

Just some suggestions,
JBJ

Virginian 05-19-2009 10:30 PM

Add me to the many people who suggested an 11-87. Soft shooting, good pointing, reliable. I do not care for recoil or inertia operated actions personally, especially for clay target games.

mrm14 05-19-2009 11:19 PM

Beretta AL 391 Urika

One of my combination use shotguns for target (sporting clays and skeet) and hunting (phesant and duck) is a Beretta AL391 Urika. Mine is a 28" with a 3" chamber, came with 4 choke tubes (you'll have to order the target choke seperate) and the target rib barrel. This puppy is light has excellent balance and is a good shooter. I've had it for several years now and put well over 1000 rounds through it with no problems ever. Mostly have used for sporting clays although it's not my primary target shotgun this one will fill the bill very well for clay targets and hunting.

I believe the new model number for this Beretta is AL391, Urika 2.

If you haven't bought one yet I strongly reccomend you check out this shotgun first before you make your final decision on purchase.

Again, this shotgun, IMO, is real nice and feels good to hold as well as shoot.