12 Gauge "Coin Shot"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12 Gauge "Coin Shot"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 12 Gauge "Coin Shot"

Ok, I overheard a conversation not long ago about shooting Coin Shot from a 12 Gauge shotgun. How is this so?

I would imagine you can use small metal discs to shape in the hull. If this is even so.... how would these discs really go in flight out of the gun. Would it spin when catching the wind? Would it spread way too quick and if it does connect to the target how realistically would the damage be?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #2

Likes Given: 13

this idea was also shown in one of the young guns movies if i do recall

Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

its a myth that comes from old west pulp stories about billy the kid killing bill olinger with a 10ga double barrel shotgun loaded with dimes. myth had it that olinger carried dime loaded shells so whomever he shot had enough change to pay charon the boatman to carry him to hell.

truth: billy the kid got a gun most liekly left for him in an outhouse while he was waiting to be hung for other murders. he killed his guard took olinger's shotgun which olinger left behind while getting lunch and billy the kid shot him from the second story window of the house he was being held in while olinger was crossing the street.

olinger never carried dimes in his shotgun shells.

unless your putting the barrel in contact with the target they would be nearly totally useless at any distances.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-07-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

A stack of dimes, or so the story goes. Aerodynamics would be dismal. Spread would be unpredictable. Wounds would be horrific at close range.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8887 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Urban legend kind of thing. Yes, you COULD load a shotshell with US 10 cent coins (dimes). Lousy idea.

First, 90% silver coins have a density of 10.31. LEAD has a density of 11.34, so you have lighter projectiles (although they WILL stack quite nicely)

Second, the shape of the projectiles does NOT cause as much spread as you might think. But the shape, coupled with the lower density, gives penetration at any real distance that truly sucks.

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thought so... thanks for the clarification on this.

I think it is more of pop culture creation as well. Just last night I saw Resident Evil Afterlife and one part of the movie the girls were fighting the

and the Milla Jovovich's character shoots him with a double barrel using quarters . You don't have to see the whole fight, you can take it to 3:00 to see the shot blowing the Axeman's head away.

So yeah... another Hollywood movie adding to the myth.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I seriously doubt that a dime loaded shotgun would do any real damage. I have seen this tried against a manaquin and it didnt even penatrate its vest. Pure hollywood and uneducated gun crank claptrap.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Looks like a $1.60 money shot that isn't worth a dime!

Just my worth.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like fun to try out once, but considering 00 buck is closer to $.90/round it's definitely not saving you any pennies.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I read a story in one of Capstick's books about an African Hunter in the 1800s (I don't remember his name) that had gotten ahead of his hunting party. He shot a Cape Buff twice in the chest with his muzzle loader. The buff didn't go down and started a slow attack on the hunter. He didn't have anymore slugs, so he loaded his firearm with coins that he happened to have in his pocket wrapped in a piece of cloth. as the buff made the full out charge, he waited until the animal was just about on him before firing and hitting the buff in the head. The Bull stopped and fell. The Hunter hurried back to his hunting party to get more correct ammo. When they returned to the place where he shot, the buff was gone.