12 GA vs. 20 GA -- educate me on whys - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12 GA vs. 20 GA -- educate me on whys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
p35 didn't mean to offend just I know there are a ton of higher end, beautiful shotguns out there that are designed more for the hunters out there. It is hard to cover the spectrum from the rec shooters to the hunters. Trying to cover all the bases isn't easy LOL!

Now I am itching to try some out! Dang it I talk about shooting and all the sudden I am dying to go!
No offense taken, there was supposed to be a laughing face after the sentence. Mossy's are old hat and lot's of folks would like something new and different. I drag mine while crawling and ride them in the truck, four wheeler, and even tractor fender so basic is good for me, also have collected parts and experience to keep my six pack of pumps running. They used to make a youth model with a 21" barrel and accu chokes, it was a camo turkey gun with vent rib and small fiber optic sights, receiver drilled and tapped. I have one but leave it pretty plain cause I really like to carry it hunting. That would be my first pick if I were in you shoes.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

hey queen! fly out. fly into springfield mo and i'll send my man to pick you up! we're just 2 hours east of springfield. heck, i got a guy who owns a gun shop coming from springfield. he can pick you up AND show you his variety!
the shoot is 19 oct.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #23

girls like shoes. why? you must wear the right set to the right occasion or you look like a goon.
guns are like shoes. shooters must use the right tool for the job....or guess what? :>

sounds to me you are looking for 2 pair of shoes.
get guns to suit your needs.
plural.

just like these 'do all' boats i see on lakes. its 1/2 rowboat, 1/2 canoe, 1/2 motorboat, 1/2 sailboat.....but 100% junk. because....its only doing all tasks partially well.

if you need to shoot targets, get a target gun.
if you need a HD gun, get a HD gun.
see my theory?

versatility is the big thing these days. but its just an old sales pitch marketed ages ago. shotguns are so unique, that when changing missions, the whole gun can change.
coupled together with choices of ammo, its easy to get lost.

i preech the KISS theory to shotguns and leave the versatility to the chokes selection and ammo. too much emphasis is being placed on the gun and choke/ammo is an after thought.

thing about hd is... odds are youll never mount your gun in a home. its most likely gonna be shot at the hip so anything will do for hd.

but field use is a different story. its almost always going to be mounted. so if you must stick with one gun...place your concerns on getting a well built, well fitted, field grade shotgun and use it as HD to spray and pray from the hip.
sorry tacticool guys.....this aint like youre taking down an airport seized or a drug bust home invasion mission.

its just fun shooting and it sits in the corner.

bottom line queens......place your emphasis a good field grade gun first.
and btw....if you get a VERY GOOD 12 gauge you wont even feel it recoil. science costs, but its well worth it.
buy a well built 20ga gun and odds are youll think youre shooting a bb gun.

i can shoot 500 12ga rounds a day and not even bruise....shooting my old school hand made 1956 winchester. its a good shoe.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 08-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
QueenGlamis Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #24

hey p35....why aint you coming to the shoot 19 0ct?????

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #25

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

That's a very generous offer bobski, will have to mull it over! Hmm, guns, vacation and meet a bunch of awesome people? That's a tough one!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm glad I subbed to this thread. I'm learning a lot.

Always have clean socks.

QueenGlamis Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #27

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
hey p35....why aint you coming to the shoot 19 0ct?????
My life is too up in the air, have a couple of jobs pending and if one hits I won't be able to take off....Being the FNG is a pain. But I'm hoping to be that guy.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
We want to get a shotgun for home defense and target shooting. We aren't hunters so no need for that aspect to be covered. I know the 12GA is more powerful and cheaper shells etc. but I have some neck/shoulder issues so I can't just go out and shoot a 12GA all day. We have a single shot H&K 12GA shotgun, and it is accurate and destroys anything in it's path. however I want something a little lighter recoil that is comfortable for me and our kids (16 & 13) to shoot repeatedly. I have seen a few different models, and am interested on hearing opinions of y'all on the different options out there. Prefer a shorter barrel, 5 or more rounds, pistol grip + traditional stock is preferred but not required. I like the option of adding a flashlight so a small rail is good, and ghost rings and/ or at least a fiber optic sight is a plus!

We also looked at some .410 with the intention of getting a S&W Governor at some point in time but after looking at the shotguns, it seems it may be a waste of money because my kids have been shooting rifles and shotguns since they were 6-7 years old and I think they will not enjoy the .410 as much as a 20 GA.

I look forward to seeing the opinions on models/options/preferences out there. Budget is below 400-500 dollars.

Thanks!
QG
You don't 'need' a 12 ga for your stated purpose so I would recommend the 20ga. It will do the job for HD and you will enjoy shooting for sport more than the heavier, harder recoiling 12 ga. Just my recommendation.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-12-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #29

they make low recoil 12ga loads.
7/8 and 3/4 oz loads are common now. thats a 20ga load in a 12ga. hull.
see queens?
see how the thought of the shell comes after the gun....not before?

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Recently I "re-graduated" to having a 12 Ga. The two I had already are definite safe princes...

But our main shotgun is the 20 Ga. Mossberg SA-20. This I know my wife and life partner can handle....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
JimRau Likes This