12 GA vs. 20 GA -- educate me on whys - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12 GA vs. 20 GA -- educate me on whys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1199 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Gator- you'd better read Chain's post again.

He is referring to USING a 20 g on kids- and light framed people.

Myself, find a slingshot and a marble usually works to get their attention.
You have a point there, I gave Uncle Bear the benefit of the doubt, that his post was absent of malice. But, I have been mistaken before, and probably will be again.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #12

Liked 708 Times on 553 Posts

the big mistake people do is they buy a gun then shoot something with it.
you need to identify what you want to shoot and decide what will shoot that object best.

follow me?

wrong way....
you buy a gun.
you buy wrong ammo.
you shoot something...and miss.
--------------
correct way is....
i.d what am i going to shoot.
what will i hit it with.
buy the gun to do it.

2 extra additions...

how often will i shoot it and which is most compatable to my body?

no mention of actions mentioned here.
they are...
break action
bolt action
semi auto
pump action.

using the list above, if comfort in shooting is key, you need to pick one that wont hurt you.
combine that with how often you plan to shoot and youll have your gun picked.

factors that effect choice....

cheap light guns kick.
certain actions kick.
certain ga ammo kicks.
improper fitted guns kick.

properly fitted guns dont.
light recoil loads dont.
certain actions dont.
well built heavy guns dont.

and to make it even harder, no two people are the same.

so...as much as id like to give you a factual answer....the only way youll find the right one is to start trying on some shoes!

this is why ftf has a shoot and hoot twice a year at my place. everyone brings shotguns and everyone tries different ones to see which works best.

by the 10th box shot....the answers become pretty obvious for some.
good luck!

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 08-11-2013 at 01:29 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Stepping down to a 20 ga will make a big difference. Also if you are in the market see if you can find a nice used semi-automatic. They dont have the big kick like a single shot or pump. The semi-auto will "push" rather than bang due to the gasses used to operate the action.

My wife shoots a 20 ga Remington Model 1100 semi-auto and loves it.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #14

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I think the 20 has an advantage on recoil and handling. As the ammo mess clears there will be heavy shells available again. As far as pistol grips go I have three of them, they are all in the same storage box. Another poster made the point that pistol grips are particularly unsuited for the Mossberg 500 because of the otherwise well positioned safety. Hadn't thought about it cause I never used them but he has a good point. I would find an older 870 if I just had to have the pistol grip.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #15

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Bobski,

All great points and thanks to all for your comments!

We are talking target and (hopefully never) home defense. I am not a total wimp, just want something that is comfortable for me and the kids to target shoot. I would really like to try to shoot a few different models before choosing which to buy. Looked at an 870 pump yesterday, can't argue with the name and mass appeal they have. Mossberg is the name that comes to mind 1st when you talk about shotguns for a non-hunter, recreational shooter.

I agree I will invest in a good recoil pad, and I like hearing the different comparisons of what they feel like, very helpful! I am able to shoot handguns without issue, all day. AR15, no problem. So maybe I am not as wimpy as I think LOL.

Our 1st preference is pump, however I never shot a semiauto so that opinion may change quickly.

bobski, if I were closer I would be very honored to come to the shoot and hoot, but that is a drive from AZ!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #16

"Mossberg is the name that comes to mind 1st when you talk about shotguns for a non-hunter, recreational shooter."

There are a lot of hunters, myself included, in this duck, goose, deer and small game hunting state that will be shocked to hear you can't hunt with a 500. ;D They are kinda basic tho.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

I have to take the light off before hunting season. Mossberg 500c 20ga. 18 1/2 inch barrel,

phone-trash-052.jpg  

Last edited by p35bhp55; 08-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #18

p35 didn't mean to offend just I know there are a ton of higher end, beautiful shotguns out there that are designed more for the hunters out there. It is hard to cover the spectrum from the rec shooters to the hunters. Trying to cover all the bases isn't easy LOL!

Now I am itching to try some out! Dang it I talk about shooting and all the sudden I am dying to go!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
I have to take the light off before hunting season. Mossberg 500c 20ga. 18 1/2 inch barrel,
now that's exactly what I am talking about! Nice weapon and thank you very much for sharing!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I agree with Uncle. A 20 ga. is a great gun for introduction to the shotgun for children, ladies and for bird hunting. I use to hunt Pheasants and Quail over Setters and the 20 ga was my prefered guage. The 20 ga. is great for that due to the fact it does not tear up the meat as much as a 12 ga. on the birds. And also for those that are recoil sensitive. I think one of the worst thing one can do is hand a brand new shooter a 12 ga. with high velocity shells when they have not been properly instructed on proper stance and positioning of the weapon. Some think this is a funny thing to do by watching them being punished. NOT! It creates bad habits, fear and flinching. If it is the first introduction and the 12 is used light lower power loads would be recommended.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy