Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12 g Slugs help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
if your using a pistol grip........slugs are counter productive

need to use a full length stock to get ANY acuracy at all from slugs
That has nothing to do with shooting accurately

Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #12

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
That has nothing to do with shooting accurately
oh yeah?..........try hitting anything with a slug using the pistol grip

Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 780 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
I don't think he was referring to a "cruiser" but a pistol grip to help absorb some recoil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I will be contrary. 27 pellet 2 3/4" standard loads #4 buck for HD. 00 will over penetrate and go through a lot more walls. Stay away from the mags inside your home. Pattern your shotgun at 7 yards. Put a 2" aiming dot on a clean piece of cardboard. The big hole is the wad. You will be surprised how little they spread at that distance. Do not believe Hollywood hype. You can and will miss if your are sloppy. There are a lot of opinions on slugs but we carried Brenneke Slugs for bear protection in Alaska. The hollow base slugs would not do the job on a bear. Probably good on deer and people though. The noise of a shotgun in a confined area is devastating. Be ready for it.
I totally agree with the 0000 buck its a devastating load inside its range and home defense surely qualifies!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #14

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:

Are you talking about a full stock with a pistol grip or just the pistol grip....Bc I shoot very actually with the full stock and Pistol grip

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the 4 buckshot.
More than adequate stopping power for home defense and over penetration will be reduced.
A slug can go through several walls which will endanger persons in adlacent rooms and even nearby apartments or house
If in a near by apartment/ home, there is only 1 sheet of wallboard, one sheet of 1/2 inch plywood some insulation and siding before exit.
A 12 ga slug has awesome penetration and will completely through both sides of an automobile which is more than most handguns and some rifles.
At 15-30 feet almost any load will do but 2 1/2 inch #4 buckshot with 27pellets of 20 caliber will drop any intruder. A hit in the leg, or arm will essentially sever the limb. As stated earlier, you still have to aim as the pattern will be probably only 4-6 inches even with an open choke.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #16

Thank you for all the responses I appreciate it... My Mossberg 500 only has the Blackhawk Knoxx PistolGrip...it has helped a great deal with the recoil pain in my shooting hand... before I replaced the factory grip I would not enjoy practicing firing from the hip...the Blackhawk has allowed me to enjoy the practice...it takes practice to get proficient shooting from that position... but I have gotten quite good...I'm up there in years and with various injuries I had to go this route... I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the time to practice...

Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajap0617 View Post
Thank you for all the responses I appreciate it... My Mossberg 500 only has the Blackhawk Knoxx PistolGrip...it has helped a great deal with the recoil pain in my shooting hand... before I replaced the factory grip I would not enjoy practicing firing from the hip...the Blackhawk has allowed me to enjoy the practice...it takes practice to get proficient shooting from that position... but I have gotten quite good...I'm up there in years and with various injuries I had to go this route... I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the time to practice...
You might consider getting a laser.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You might consider getting a laser.
Yeah I'm thinking something in the 2-3 terawatt range!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #19

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

For slugs I like Federal or Winchester in a Foster style slug. My Mossberg seems to like Brenekke slugs. Don't know about primary use for HD, but I do keep a couple in the side saddle. I prefer #1, 00, or #4 buckshot for HD.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #20

By the way... there is no ammo in Florida... even 22lr is gone... forget gun control.. no ammo and you don't need gun control...