12/20?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 12/20?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 12/20?

Hello Firearmstalk,
I know the ups and downs to 12 guage vs. 20 guage. But my question is... is the 20 guage any less affective? I know it's got to be some, but how much less, I guess is what I'm asking. The reason being is that I found a 20 for an extremely good price, but I've just always been one to think why take less. I do have a 20 that is just a plinker, but this would get REAL usage.

Thanks in advance.

Pumpkinball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Used with shot, it has the same range as a 12, but has less shot. Remember that the cloud of shot is 3-D. It will be ABOUT the same sized cloud, but has more space between shot. The 20 magnum has about the same shot payload as the old 16, and has pretty much replaced it. Long range Goose? Go for the 10 supa-mag. Doves? Works for me. 20 g Slugs are smaller, lighter, carry less energy. Same w/ buckshot. Depends on what you want to use it for.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never known a dead bird that knew whether they were hit by a 12 or 20. The only exception would be goose hunting in blinds, where you'll probably want something that holds more steel shot than a 20 (but it could still be used with the proper skill). For all upland game, a 20 gauge is perfect. The only thing better would be a nice 28 gauge side by side...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

If you are asking about Home Defense use, the 12 has a distinct advantage ofer the 20. The range of ammo available for the 20 ga is rather limited. 0 buck is about as big as most go. Some feel it is VERY adequate. Some want 12 ga 00 buck 3" Magnum ammo. I doubt the home invader will know the difference when shot.

Personally, I would go with 12 ga because of the huge variety of ammo available from ultra light 1oz target loads to heavy magnum buckshot and slugs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Wait what are we killing.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderfan View Post
Wait what are we killing.

A little bit of everything from average large game to small game and skeet. I have a 12g pump with 30" barrel, which is great hunting gun, but it's kind of one of those I don't want all scratched up. Plus the 20 is a good bit lighter which would be better for toting through the woods all day. I know 12 is of course better, but should I shy away from the 20. The only reason I'm thinking about it is that I found it for such a good deal. Yes 12 out does the 20, but is the 20 still affective enough for me to be happy though?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can never have too many shotguns, and you MUST have at least one 20 gauge--you'll love it for upland hunting.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

For hunting, you will do fine with the 20 ga. There are several newer 20 ga slugs on the marked designed for large game, and the accuracy and distance reports have been great. For bird hunting, 20 ga will still get them, with a faster follow up. Get the 20 ga, and shoot the shat out of it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Or, you can do what I did and buy a shotgun with 12 & 20 gauge barrels. I picked up a cheap Stoeger Condor O/U with both sets of barrels and it's a fun gun...