Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 11-87 woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 11-87 woes

Hello, I recently joined the forum to see if I could get some insight on my Remington 11-87 not cycling. I bought it about a year ago and it hasn't cycled right since I got it. I've been shooting Remington Nitro Sporting Clay 2.75" loads and it seems to develop plenty of barrel pressure as it kicks the shells out a good 15 feet. When it does jam, it ejects the spent shell just fine, but then the new shell get jammed between the breech bolt and the barrel. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just going to state the obvious, but you've made sure to clean the gas port, right? And was it purchased new or used? If used, you may need to replace the little ring kit. Also, what about your spring in the magazine? Is it not pushing on the shells hard enough?!? Does it have an aftermarket mag extension on it? Some of them aren't as reliable as others.

Give us more info and we'll figure this out...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Just going to state the obvious, but you've made sure to clean the gas port, right? And was it purchased new or used? If used, you may need to replace the little ring kit. Also, what about your spring in the magazine? Is it not pushing on the shells hard enough?!? Does it have an aftermarket mag extension on it? Some of them aren't as reliable as others.

Give us more info and we'll figure this out...
Excellent advice. After You have done all of the above, check the chamber area and polish if rough. Have you tried any heavy loads to see if that helps?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The follower or "shell lifter" could need replacing also. It sounds like the gas system is pretty close to performing properly.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

The gun was bought new and I keep it very clean. The gas ports are completely free of any carbon build up. The magazine tube it has on it came from the factory. I haven't tried any heavier loads because the closest range to me won't allow them. There is another range however that I was planning on going to to cycle some bigger loads. How can I tell if the magazine tube spring is not pushing hard enough?

Rugermike: which areas of the chamber would you recommend polishing? It seems pretty smooth.

Thanks for the good advice!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #6

Get you a cotton swap or piece of cotton and check the chamber area for burrs or rough areas. 200 grip sandpaper or emery cloth will polish any area that may be rough, especially the feed in area. Remington quality standards unfortunatly have went south over the last few years, to save money and cut the bottom line. Not the Old Green we use to have! Especially in the less expensive versions. Is the 11-87 a SP?
Stalkingbear also brings up another good point if the spring is bad or bent? Might check it also? You didn't mention how old the shotgun was? Did you buy it new?

The other thing that just hit me is the gas cylinder collar on the gun and correctly? It won't cycle correctly if it is missing? The 1100's didn't require this but it is a must for the 11-87's to function properly?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #7

Yes, it is the SP. I'll try to find some rough spots in the chamber and smooth them down if I find them. It is just over a year old. I think the magazine tube spring is fine. The gas cylinder collar is on the gun, but whenever I pull the forend off it seems to flop around and want to come out. Should that be secure in the forend?