00 Buck & choke

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 00 Buck & choke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default 00 Buck & choke

I was just wondering what is the tightest choke that you can safely use for 00 buck out of a Rem 870?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I was just wondering what is the tightest choke that you can safely use for 00 buck out of a Rem 870?
A full choke will work okay. Just check the patterns and it depends on the use of the gun. For HD you want max spread at very short distance. For hunting, you want max pattern at distance.

With buckshot tighter is not always better, I took a doe one year at 50 steps with 00 out of a modified Rem-choke. Put multiple pellets in the deer's neck and it dropped instantaneously.

I have a friend that shoots 00 out through his turkey choke on his Browning BPS. He called the manufacturer of the choke tube first and they said while it would not harm the gun or the choke, pattern results were an unkown. My friend has taken several deer with the configuration.