woodsmaster or BAR? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

woodsmaster or BAR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 300 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 552

I would love a 1903.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard
I would love a 1903.
I know it's not semi, but I thought I would put it out their because it would be really cool to have one.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
colmustard Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
When I was a young deer I wanted a BAR. Instead I cheaped out and bought a Remington Woodsmaster. The gun was accurate. I could hit anything I could see with the rifle. But the thing seldom cycled like it should. In over 20 years of driving deer with dogs I never saw a Woodsmaster that would cycle reliably. I ended up selling the Woodsmaster and I took a bath on the sale. Then one day I walked into a gunshop and there was the gun of a my dreams. A safari grade BAR made in Belgium and I had just paid off my credit card. I bought the gun and I haven't looked back.

I went bear hunting in NV. The guide looked at my rifle and his eyes just rolled up in his head. We went for target practice and I blasted anything he wanted to shoot. I did not have a scope on the rifle, just the iron sights that came on it. He asked if I had a bionic eye.

I can't see as well as I used too but I still haven't put a scope on the BAR. If the good lord lets me see the iron sights for the rest of my days I won't put a scope on it.

I can say this much if you are going to plunk down the cash to buy a BAR don't buy one of those stainless steel jobs with the synthetic stock. Save your money and buy a real Belgian made BAR. You won't live long enough to regret it.
I have three woodmasters one in .308, 30-06, and .280. They all cycle just fine.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was just curious as to what a good semi-auto 30-06 would be to go with. Something that functions well, looks nice but can take a beating while hunting in the woods.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I was just curious as to what a good semi-auto 30-06 would be to go with. Something that functions well, looks nice but can take a beating while hunting in the woods.
I don't care for the woodmasters accuracy, I was just pointing out that mine function fine. Obviously something like a garand would be cool and reliable.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10250 Times on 5512 Posts
Likes Given: 10130

Made in America Woodmaster is low quality. (I had one. Junk) Browning BAR is a great, well made, top end rifle (I have a BAR in .338 WinMag)

Made in Japan?? Who cares? Quality trumps place of manufacture.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I see your point locutus, but I would always try my best to buy American. But if the BAR is so much better than that may be the one. Seems like there should be more to choose from.
--George Washington

Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #18

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I have three woodmasters one in .308, 30-06, and .280. They all cycle just fine.
I would have to see it to believe it. When we could run dogs just anywhere we would have 50+ hunters on Saturday. You know with that many hunters I saw a lot of Woodsmasters jam before I formed an opinion. On the other hand, if you don't shoot them they don't jam.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

I would have to see it to believe it. When we could run dogs just anywhere we would have 50+ hunters on Saturday. You know with that many hunters I saw a lot of Woodsmasters jam before I formed an opinion. On the other hand, if you don't shoot them they don't jam.
It may be the newer ones, the ones I have are really early models, I have seen more problems with Remington products, like the 770.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have my grandfathers old 740 accuracy every deer he shot at was DRT shot in the neck. All of the different model #'s 740, 7400 etc have all had their problems that is why they keep retooling them and giving them different model numbers. If I had my druthers I would go for the Garand or BAR. I have a Garand in .308.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.