Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   woodsmaster or BAR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/woodsmaster-bar-95565/)

colmustard 08-16-2013 08:08 PM

woodsmaster or BAR?

Tittle says it, which would you choose if you were in the market for a semi-auto 30-06? The Remington woodsmaster or the Browning BAR?

therewolf 08-16-2013 08:17 PM

So that FN49 in 30.06 is out of the question?

c3shooter 08-16-2013 08:19 PM

BAR. About the most accurate semi-auto I have owned. Not the Cadillac of sporting rifles- it is the Mercedes of sporting rifles.

colmustard 08-16-2013 08:25 PM

@ therewolf, sorry I did not consider it, this discussion is of course open to any semi-auto 30-06 :)

elfmdl 08-16-2013 09:34 PM

I'm tempted to buy a woodsmaster from my LGS. Except they are asking $390 a little much in my opinion. It would also help if it was legal to use for deer hunting.

SSGSF 08-16-2013 10:00 PM

I would buy the wood master because it is made here in the USA. And not Japan like Browning .
But that is just My opinion.

FullautoUSA 08-17-2013 12:13 AM

If it can be any semi auto 30-06, then it has to be a Garand!

John_Deer 08-17-2013 12:30 AM

When I was a young deer I wanted a BAR. Instead I cheaped out and bought a Remington Woodsmaster. The gun was accurate. I could hit anything I could see with the rifle. But the thing seldom cycled like it should. In over 20 years of driving deer with dogs I never saw a Woodsmaster that would cycle reliably. I ended up selling the Woodsmaster and I took a bath on the sale. Then one day I walked into a gunshop and there was the gun of a my dreams. A safari grade BAR made in Belgium and I had just paid off my credit card. I bought the gun and I haven't looked back.

I went bear hunting in NV. The guide looked at my rifle and his eyes just rolled up in his head. We went for target practice and I blasted anything he wanted to shoot. I did not have a scope on the rifle, just the iron sights that came on it. He asked if I had a bionic eye.

I can't see as well as I used too but I still haven't put a scope on the BAR. If the good lord lets me see the iron sights for the rest of my days I won't put a scope on it.

I can say this much if you are going to plunk down the cash to buy a BAR don't buy one of those stainless steel jobs with the synthetic stock. Save your money and buy a real Belgian made BAR. You won't live long enough to regret it.

colmustard 08-17-2013 02:59 PM

I already have a Garand but nice choice! Seems like people have a love hate relationship with the Remington, but it is made in America.

FullautoUSA 08-17-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard
I already have a Garand but nice choice! Seems like people have a love hate relationship with the Remington, but it is made in America.

If you have a Garand then you should get a 1903!