Why So Few Bullpups? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why So Few Bullpups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I like the TAVOR concept, but I'm in the minority as an AUG fan as well.
Not sure they are worth the price.....

These are the prices from the company I ordered my Izhmash MK from.

http://www.waffenschumacher.com/shop_106_aug-z-buechsen_.htm

What are the prices in the US?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #72

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I love my MSAR, I made sure to get the one that takes AUG mags. The Tavor has better ergos, but is hampered IMO by using PMags. It's slower to change mags in a BP, those 12 extra rounds make up for it, a 40% increase over PMags. I would love to see MagPul make 42 round PMags for use in the Tavor.
Tavor's are not restricted to using PMags ! Any AR-15 mag will work. ProMag makes a 42 rounder. I've used it in both my AR and Tavor. Works great.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Not sure they are worth the price.....

These are the prices from the company I ordered my Izhmash MK from.

http://www.waffenschumacher.com/shop_106_aug-z-buechsen_.htm

What are the prices in the US?
Aug's go for around $2,000 US Dollars. Tavors are now around $1,800 US Dollars
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #74

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Because they are ugly as hell

Old 12-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #75
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombirdman
You are not out! The FN FS 2000 AND THE PS 90 work equally well for left or right hand. Augs , MSARS, Tavors are set up at the factory and can be purchased in left or right hand versions. You could also buy a right hander and buy a conversion kit. All this is available now. Go to GUNBROKER.COM and find what you want in the left hand version.
And, you can get a lefty TAVOR from CDNN if you have the $$$$ for it.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #76
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Not sure they are worth the price..... These are the prices from the company I ordered my Izhmash MK from. http://www.waffenschumacher.com/shop_106_aug-z-buechsen_.htm What are the prices in the US?
Jag. The "list " price on an AUG is around 2K(2 thousand dollars).One of my ex-US Navy friends swears by his,...I have only shot one once at a range that rents FA's....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #77

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My MSAR is really handy for HD. Nice and compact with no NFA paperwork required. I would think that alone would make them more popular.

I don't see them gaining much steam unless the military switches to a bull pup, which will probaly never happen.

Speaking of AUGs and clones, I'm really digging the FAMAS-88. Does anyone know if any ever hit these shores?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #78

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I'm not a bullpup fan. Most are handy in size only. Most compromise some ergonomics. While many can be set up for left handed use it is not really an on the fly sort of thing. Transitioning to weak hand shooting for clearing door ways or shooting around cover in a dynamic situation is really not practical. Some newer designs eject shells from underneath or out the front, but they are still few. Manipulations for mag changes and immediate actions for FTF, FTE, double feedway jams are not super friendly either. In the event of a catastrophic failure, having your head next to the chamber is not really where I want to be.

Those are some of the things holding bullpups back from broad popularity. The compact size is great though.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
My MSAR is really handy for HD. Nice and compact with no NFA paperwork required. I would think that alone would make them more popular.

I don't see them gaining much steam unless the military switches to a bull pup, which will probaly never happen.

Speaking of AUGs and clones, I'm really digging the FAMAS-88. Does anyone know if any ever hit these shores?
The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) has been using the Tavor 95 (Select fire version of the USA Tavor) for almost 10 years. The reason they developed this weapon was because the M-16's (They still use some) with the shorter barrels worked good in close quarters, but lacked accuracy at longer distances. Hence the Tavor with a 16" or 18" that is still shorter than a 12" M-16.

They can't be all that bad.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #80

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'd like to shoot one, until then I really can't say for sure if i'd like them. I would think that with the Israeli military using them they would be alright.

Last edited by forrest225; 12-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Newest Threads