Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why So Few Bullpups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 743 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 49

But that's the thing it's not really in its infancy Steyr Augs have been out since the 70's I believe and many other bullpups have come out since then. There is no reason why the costs should be so high on them at all at the most they should cost a little more than a good model AR because of the r&d a machining costs but once a successful design is made then costs should drop. The concept is valid for a good cqb weapon but the awkward magazine placement on most makes them difficult to reload in a stress situation. They are pretty neat weapons and I'm sure if one practices enough drills with them they can become just as proficient as someone with an ar but why bother when you can build or buy an ar for half the price and add all the bells and whistles you want and still accomplish the same mission without having to relearn everything on a different platform

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #62

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
The concept is valid for a good cqb weapon but the awkward magazine placement on most makes them difficult to reload in a stress situation.
I have to laugh at this quote. If you haven't shot what you have been aiming at for 30 rounds, you probably need new glasses.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ahhh but what if there are 31 attackers kemo sabe. Listen man I'm a former combat soldier I was in Iraq between 2003-2004 I have been in multiple firefights short and long range and have witnessed bullpups in combat ie British Royal Marines and some Macedonian SF guys and when I tell you it took them almost the full basic load of ammo for them to hit anyone it's the gods honest truth. I'm a lil bit of a doomsday prepper also so I'm looking at it from a standpoint if I have to fight off a large group of scumbags who band together I want super fast mag changes

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Why do you think our sf guys and seals just use shorty hk416's and no bullpups? It's just platform familiarity, ease of use, tons of different configurations, and efficiency.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #65

Default Bullpups

I am a fan of them ! You can get use to the poor triggers if you work at it.
They are handy and as accurate as any military rifle I've shot. After all, the barrels are 16.5 inches or more. They are so very handy!!!

I have an FN PS90, fs2000, MSAR mod4, and a Tavor 16.5 inch.
I like them all as well as my SCARs, ARs and whatever.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #66

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

This is probably one of those issues that never will be fully resolved. If the pup is all you have known and you train with it consistently, I am sure you can be proficient enough with it to make it into a top notch CQB weapon. Having fired one for just a few rounds, it is awkward to fire and for mag changes. I was able to get some pretty tight shot groups with it considering my unfamiliarity with it.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #67

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The AUG/MSAR flopped. The FS2000 flopped. The AR bullpup flopped. The SA80 never took off. IMO, the only thing that might make the bullpup popular in the US is the Tavor.

I really like the Tavor, I'll probably get one sometime in the near future. I don't think bullpups will ever be popular here, but maybe the Tavor will be a major success compared to the other BPs that have hit these shores.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #68
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
The AUG/MSAR flopped. The FS2000 flopped. The AR bullpup flopped. The SA80 never took off. IMO, the only thing that might make the bullpup popular in the US is the Tavor. I really like the Tavor, I'll probably get one sometime in the near future. I don't think bullpups will ever be popular here, but maybe the Tavor will be a major success compared to the other BPs that have hit these shores.
I like the TAVOR concept, but I'm in the minority as an AUG fan as well.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #69

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I like the TAVOR concept, but I'm in the minority as an AUG fan as well.
I love my MSAR, I made sure to get the one that takes AUG mags. The Tavor has better ergos, but is hampered IMO by using PMags. It's slower to change mags in a BP, those 12 extra rounds make up for it, a 40% increase over PMags. I would love to see MagPul make 42 round PMags for use in the Tavor.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #70

Default You are not out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Most aren't (lefty) friendly, which leaves me out. Plus they're expensive.
You are not out! The FN FS 2000 AND THE PS 90 work equally well for left or right hand. Augs , MSARS, Tavors are set up at the factory and can be purchased in left or right hand versions. You could also buy a right hander and buy a conversion kit. All this is available now.

Go to GUNBROKER.COM and find what you want in the left hand version.