Why So Few Bullpups? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Why So Few Bullpups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
They are unwieldy and not terribly user friendly with complicated linkages to connect trigger to sear. While a person can learn to be quick with one they are slow to reload due to fine muscle skill needed to reach back and manipulate the magazine in an unnatural location.

Bullpup designs also dont lend well to multi tasking as in they arent terribly good at hanging things like launchers designators or optics.

They arent new as several have been available since the late 80's. Our culture likes using what our military uses. Thats why the m1 carbine/garand 1903 m1a were so popular and why the ar15 is in everyone's closet. Despite the democrats attempts to de-man this nation we are still and will be for some time a military centered society.

Our second ammendment stems from the need for a strong civilian pool with military firearms in times of need. So until our culture changes or our govt adopts a bullpup they will only be a curiosity.
Perfect Commentary...

I've nothing to add.

Tack

Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8015 Times on 4385 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

I have a PS90 and love it. But I've shot a couple of FS2000s and an AUG, and I wouldn't trade an Ar-15 for either one.

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #13

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've held the FS2000. Loved the weight but it was bulky in a way that even a Mini-14 or an AK is not. Is there still a civilian AUG? Even without the bulk, there are the other problems JonM mentioned.

I like the TAVOR and have pondered getting one when they come available. Other than that, no bullpups have any advantages that outweigh their disadvantages.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #14

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I believe the US made AUG A3 is still available. I don't think you can put a STANANG stock on it for legal reasons though. Maybe C3 can clear this up?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3459 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I have shot a P-90 (yes the full auto version. It was a hoot). I used to have a Bushmaster M-17S. I was just getting used to it when I had to sell it . It felt heavy and bulky even though it was neither. The balance is very different than an AR so it was weird. Very accurate, took several coyotes with it.

Bull pups are just not a major part of our culture. It took 20 years for AR's to really catch on and 20 more to explode in popularity. Americans like steel and wood. Polymer is all the craze now, but not so for a long time.

The triggers are generally pretty crappy with the linkage needed to reach the sear.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #16

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty View Post
The reason they are more prevalent over there is the old architecture of the buildings and cities lends to much closer quarters than what we have here. 24"corridors make even a short AR too long to quickly turn around if needed...
The heck with the short AR, I couldn't walk down a 24" corridor, and wouldn't want to, no less quickly turn around if needed! Two feet -- that CAN'T be right. That's a sewer pipe, not a hallway!!!

Steyr's AUG -- great gun.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #17

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

If you have ever seen a rifle have an out of battery discharge, or kaboom, and notice that most of the damage is in teh vacinity of the barrel/bolt interface. Then take a look at where a bullpup positions that part of the rilfe. Catching some fragments in teh hands is pretty survivable. Chunks in your head, may be survivable, but you may never chew food again, or wipe your own butt.
People Like This 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If you have ever seen a rifle have an out of battery discharge, or kaboom, and notice that most of the damage is in teh vacinity of the barrel/bolt interface. Then take a look at where a bullpup positions that part of the rilfe. Catching some fragments in teh hands is pretty survivable. Chunks in your head, may be survivable, but you may never chew food again, or wipe your own butt.
This is the situation has definitely crossed my mind. As to a BP stock for a Mini-14, seems to me that the trigger linkage could be problematic.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I never thought about what SSGN said, it makes sense....but the Brits, Aussies, and countless others have been using bull pups for a long time. The AUG has been in use since 1977. I was never a fan until recently, I've always been an AR guy. Maybe since ARs are better fighting rifles at distance and we Americans have so much wide open land vs Europe's more crowded cities and confined spaces. I don't think they will ever be big here. The only hope is the Tavor.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #20

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Like other posters have pointed out, I think BP designs aren't part of the American culture because it's not a home grown design or used by the military here, at least not yet. AR's took nearly half a century after Stoner designed them in the 1950's to become the design of choice gun in the US they are today and there are still many shooters, especially traditionalists, who want nothing to do with them. Same thing with polymer handguns. Still, if a BP design is ever adopted by our military, they will eventually catch on. However, I don't think bullpup style rifles will ever be popular to the degree that the AR design is due to the limitations of the BP design... it's a short-medium range and CQC weapon.

OTOH, there are other options available for someone wanting a SBR style weapon for home defense or a truck gun. Here's one I built a few years ago using a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol with a 9 1/2" barrel as the base weapon. All total it cost me less than most entry level AR's (pre-Newtown prices) at $800. The hardest part was the six month wait for the Class III stamp to arrive in the mail.
sbr4.jpg   sbrxtra.jpg  

Last edited by rachilders; 03-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.
7point62 Likes This 

Newest Threads