Why So Few Bullpups? - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why So Few Bullpups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The reason bullpups won't catch on in the civilian market is the short sight radius which makes them difficult to shoot. Many carbines are as short as a bullpup. Plus the carbines are much easier to shoot and reload. Someone might make a bullpup and sell a bunch of them. But bullpups will never catch on with competitive shooters. They will be sold to the crowd that wants to have a gun no one else owns and the mall ninja crowd.
What carbines are 27" total length other than NFA SBRs? I didn't buy one because not many people own them and I'm certainly not a mall ninja, that's one VERY broad statement.

BPs aren't meant to be long range weapons, therefore I don't see the reduced sight radius as a critical weakness. Most folks run optics on them anyways.

They are harder to reload, but my mags hold 40% more ammo than STANANG mags.

I find BPs very interesting and plan to add a PS90 and FS2000 to my collection as money allows.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #122

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

John Deer, I guess these guys are "mall ninjas" too. Soldiers from Australian, Chinese, Iranian, Israeli, Indian armies, plus a few others:

australian_rar_soldier_and_his_bullpup_rifle.jpg   24594143518420363213537.jpg   australian_soldier_afghanistan_rifle.jpg   31884908la1.jpg   ce43543344aa1.jpg  

idf-tavor1.jpg   imi-tavor-tar-netiv-haasara-isr-feb-israeli-soldier-rifle-feb-s-israeli-bullpup-assault-rifle-ha.jpg   tumblr_m92tusksor1r9khx4o1_500.jpg   ufb4zvjs.jpg   iranian-kh-2002-khaybar-assault-rifle-3-operitional-islamic-republic-iran-army-ground.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #123

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
John Deer, I guess these guys are "mall ninjas" too. Soldiers from Australian, Chinese, Iranian, Israeli, Indian armies, plus a few others:
Military personnel traditionally have a discipline that enables them to overcome small handicaps. With training and a lot of practice, they obviously can become proficient in the weapon, and achieve a high level of marksmanship that someone who only spends a few hours on the weekend never could. The design itself doesn't inhibit the accuracy of the firearm. In theory, one should actually be able to be more accurate on a BP due to the barrel, which is the heaviest part, being more equally balanced. The traditional rifle/carbine is more ergonomically configured for handling, which is what most nation's militaries go for. Even being a 13th degree black belt in mall ninjitsu , I can't see plopping down 2 grand for something I won't shoot more than 100 rounds a week. I have had friends that let me shoot their BP, and although I achieved some semblance of accuracy, I don't think I could use one for HD for 2 reasons:
1. On the one's I fired, the trigger was either too sloppy or too tight due to the linkage. I am sure there is a model that has that addressed, but from what I have read and heard, my experience is the norm.
2. Ergonomics is an issue, between the position of holding the firearm to magazine changes, it would take a lot of training to get me to acclimate to the point I would feel comfortable in a SHTF scenario.
If anyone out there is considering adding a BP to their collection, I wouldn't want to discourage them. Just be prepared to spend more time becoming familiar with them than an AR or AK.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #124
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Woa. You won't spend 2K on something you shoot less than 100 a week? I feel lucky to shoot 100 rounds of anything every two weeks. That dang job pays me bills and keeps me off the range.

No doubt bullpups are too expensive for their probable cost, but so are Jeep Wranglers. Human beings are not (entirely) rational, especially as consumers. But I submit to you, any AR in civilian hands is a hobby gun no less and no more than an FN or a Tavor or an AUG.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #125

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Woa. You won't spend 2K on something you shoot less than 100 a week? I feel lucky to shoot 100 rounds of anything every two weeks. That dang job pays me bills and keeps me off the range.

But I submit to you, any AR in civilian hands is a hobby gun no less and no more than an FN or a Tavor or an AUG.
Merc, I spend about 500 per AR before I sell it for $800 after test firing it. (Unlike DPMS's Mine will fire any type of ammo) If you think it is worthwhile to get a BP for WHATEVER reason, go for it. I don't try to discourage others. I just don't think it is for me.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #126
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1664 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
If you read my earlier posts I said bullpups are designed for people who jump out of planes. Not many civilians need to jump out of a plane with a rifle. Find some photos of someone winning a competition with a bullpup, I will be impressed.

The beretta storm is less than 30" and the HiPoint carbine is shorter than the storm. I am sure some of the carbines from Masterpiece arms are even shorter. I don't have to like bullpups because someone else does. Apparently I am in the majority because not many people own a bullpup.

Military bullpups are a bit more useful because they can be as short as possible. No one says a military bullpup has to be at least 26".

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-06-2014 at 02:20 AM.