Why So Few Bullpups?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why So Few Bullpups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Why So Few Bullpups?

I wondered about this yesterday. With all the craze about SBRs, what aren't we seeing more companies offering a bullpup model? I had a real bad itch to buy a PS90 last year but just couldn't pay the price. I spent a lot of time fondling and it was ridiculously easy to point and carry. I kept asking if it was really a 16" barrel because it felt so short.

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a huge untapped market. Especially if you could very the price around $1000 or less.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm waiting on the Tavor's to come in so I can pick up one of them. I like the idea of bull pups. Especially as a truck gun. Here's a link. You can get them in 18" or 16.5"

http://tar21.com/IWI-tavor-tar21-rifle-iwi-us-civilian-carbines/

Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm a big fan of the FN fs2000. One day for sure.
Oh yes it will be mine.

I want my standard AR to be set up varmint and one of these for cqb. A good writeup.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/316159_A_Complete_Review_and_Beginners_Guide_to_th e_FN_FS2000.html

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson
john300k Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Most aren't (lefty) friendly, which leaves me out. Plus they're expensive.

Last edited by RUG3R44; 03-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
DFlynt Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Most aren't (lefty) friendly, which leaves me out. Plus they're expensive.
ARs aren't exactly lefty friendly either. And some of them are expensive too.

I'm wondering if the design is what dictates the high price on the bullpups?

They also seem to be more of a European thing. Have American manufacturers not caught the hint?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post

ARs aren't exactly lefty friendly either. And some of them are expensive too.

I'm wondering if the design is what dictates the high price on the bullpups?

They also seem to be more of a European thing. Have American manufacturers not caught the hint?
The reason they are more prevalent over there is the old architecture of the buildings and cities lends to much closer quarters than what we have here. 24"corridors make even a short AR too long to quickly turn around if needed.

I saw an Israeli special forces guy talking and demonstrating the close quarters they have, on the military channel. That's why they adopted the FN.

Bull pups are almost all different from each other (hence the high price) whereas AR's and AK's are relatively standardized.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

They are unwieldy and not terribly user friendly with complicated linkages to connect trigger to sear. While a person can learn to be quick with one they are slow to reload due to fine muscle skill needed to reach back and manipulate the magazine in an unnatural location.

Bullpup designs also dont lend well to multi tasking as in they arent terribly good at hanging things like launchers designators or optics.

They arent new as several have been available since the late 80's. Our culture likes using what our military uses. Thats why the m1 carbine/garand 1903 m1a were so popular and why the ar15 is in everyone's closet. Despite the democrats attempts to de-man this nation we are still and will be for some time a military centered society.

Our second ammendment stems from the need for a strong civilian pool with military firearms in times of need. So until our culture changes or our govt adopts a bullpup they will only be a curiosity.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

About 4-5 years ago I got into a discussion with an Australian NCO about the Steyr AUG. I remember he wasn't all that happy with the accuracy. He liked the quick-change barrel and ambidextrous features but a soldier has to take what his country gives him. So, if you're only used to a bullpup, then you get as good as you can with it and don't have much to compare it to, especially in countries with strict civilian gun regulation. And a lot of these bullpup designs are coming out of factories in Europe and fulfilling domestic or 3rd World military contracts. A whole generation of American kids are learning about these weapons playing video games so there's some curiosity about them. Personally, I want my mag near my mag-change hand and not under my armpit.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I held an AUG Stg77 in the early 90's and fell in love. Granted I was a child at the time, but the memory has stuck with me. A relative of mine was a Fed LEO and was issued it, the real deal select fire.

I too as an adult was suspicious of them bc I've always shot AR platforms. Last weekend I purchased a MSAR Stg-556 and love it. There just isn't a lot of info out there, so I'm researching like crazy. I posted here, but no answers to my probs yet.

Probs: 1913 rail is a tad too high for a proper cheek weld using my MeproLight M21M. Trigger needs help. Mags changes slower, mag carriers need to stay to the left or ride low. Mags are expensive and parts are hard to find.

I don't think BPs will ever catch on in the US, but they offer some serious advantages for specific uses, CQB, truck gun, clearing your house.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #10

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I want to get a bullpup stock for my SKS, when I get some extra cash. I love bullpup rifles, they're easy to maneuver with, shorter, and still pack the same punch!