Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

camilion4, my response remains the same. A couple of guys who would have rather had 6.8 does not translate to the statement that you made.

-----------------------------------

I like the AK variant and x39. I'm glad to see guys like Vickers and Haley bringing more light to the fact that they are more capable then people claim.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #82

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
camilion4, my response remains the same. A couple of guys who would have rather had 6.8 does not translate to the statement that you made.

-----------------------------------

I like the AK variant and x39. I'm glad to see guys like Vickers and Haley bringing more light to the fact that they are more capable then people claim.
That's cool man that was not a statement I made or some buddys personal thoughts, the top half was a report that was completed in 2011, the 6.8 is a option as much as any other round out side of the 5.56 when a change comes. The post was just to say that the 5.56 is not the holy grail round and at this point no round fits that notation. The study just points out that larger rounds may be better that's it lol. I personally like the 5.56 in AR. I am not closed minded and in Civilian life do not see any problems with trying other cals in my platform to each his own,

Old 06-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #83

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt
For a long time, they had serious reliability issues with the magazines, due to piss poor engineering.

And the AK does not suffer from any accuracy issue beyond the user not knowing how to shoot...
Watching slow motion videos the round tumbles more than going in a straight line.

Last edited by lbwar15; 06-04-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #84

For got to post the vid

Last edited by lbwar15; 06-04-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #85

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilion4 View Post
That's cool man that was not a statement I made or some buddys personal thoughts, the top half was a report that was completed in 2011, the 6.8 is a option as much as any other round out side of the 5.56 when a change comes. The post was just to say that the 5.56 is not the holy grail round and at this point no round fits that notation. The study just points out that larger rounds may be better that's it lol. I personally like the 5.56 in AR. I am not closed minded and in Civilian life do not see any problems with trying other cals in my platform to each his own,
I didn't know there was a change coming. I'm not in the loop so I could be wrong but I haven't heard of any pending change.

You're correct, 5.56 is not some magical round. I have also experimented w/ different rounds through the AR. "May be better" is a far stretch than claiming soldiers are begging for 6.8. "May be better" is not going to cause the military to make such an investment.

Not wanting to argue, just wanted clarification on the "begging for" statement. Thank you for explaining.

EDIT: Found this... Please note that these pics a little graphic (images of gunshot wounds).

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=17111.0

Last edited by MikeJK; 06-04-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #86
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:

EDIT: Found this... Please note that these pics a little graphic (images of gunshot wounds).

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=17111.0
please do not repost the pics themselves here they will get deleted.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

Watching slow motion videos the round tumbles more than going in a straight line.
Never mind that's not right. I need to thank things through be fore I say it. That's not possible. Just a old wise tell I heard.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #88

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Now to answer the question of why a 7.62x39 in an AR wouldn't be the perfect round; Well as just said there is no perfect rifle or caliber, but it does seem like the AR and 7.62x39 would be a good combination?
So, by this logic, using .308 (7.62 x 51) in an

AK would also make a good combination?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #89

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
... You're correct, 5.56 is not some magical round. I have also experimented w/ different rounds through the AR. "May be better" is a far stretch than claiming soldiers are begging for 6.8. "May be better" is not going to cause the military to make such an investment.

Not wanting to argue, just wanted clarification on the "begging for" statement...
I agree, the 5.56 is an effective round that will be hard to replace across the board. It has proven itself in many wars and in law enforcement. Also NATO countries are unlikely to change horses now either. In fact the 5.56 caused the Soviet Union to open their eyes and move from the 7.62x39 to a smaller round. Guess 7.62x39 wasn't perfect after all!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #90

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
LLL, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, drop by the intro thread, say howdy, and introduce yerself.

In the meantime, the original poster asked his question in the summer of 2009. In keeping with time honored custom, you are now responsible for sending a birthday card to the thread. Cake is optional.
Man this is a thread that will not die!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.