Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have an M-4 clone that shoots 7.62 X 39 ammo. The trouble I have with any AR type rifle is that the magazines always double-feed or jam on me. I have been using C Products magazines for a couple of years now and they too have started to jam on me. The weakest part of any AR is and will always remain the magazines until somebody figures something better out. I plan to store away my upper half that shoots the X39 ammo and go with one that shoots the .223/5.56 ammo again. I hate to do it but there is no way around it.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #42

Default How about a CC holster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
.......of course if you're looking for that instant one shot stopper.......

Hi Sarge,

Yeah, that bugger will put you in the dirt or smear you all over the terrain.

But, tell me, can you get hollow points for it? Also, how much $$ per round, and does Bianchi make a shoulder holster so I can carry it under my suit coat - like Dirty Harry did with his 8 3/4 inch model 29 in the movies.

Like your sense of humor.

Be well, and don't forget to Check Your Six!;

AAW

Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #43

If you are looking for something cheap and durable might I suggest the AK made by Saiga. I picked mine up at a gun show brand new for $350. The 7.62x39 ammo is really cheap if you buy in bulk. The AK made by Saiga is more of a hunting rifle than an ar, it is very light and more accurate than a normal Ak or sks. At 100 yards you can easily hit the target every time. And if you are gonna be killing zombies you probably wont need anything that shoots farther than that.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

LLL, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, drop by the intro thread, say howdy, and introduce yerself.

In the meantime, the original poster asked his question in the summer of 2009. In keeping with time honored custom, you are now responsible for sending a birthday card to the thread. Cake is optional.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a 300 blackout alittle better ballistics then the 7.62 but better accurcy and way better mags.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A bit dusty here, but what the hay. Have there been any newer or better AR mags in 7.62 since the time of this thread's youth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon17 View Post
Get a 300 blackout alittle better ballistics then the 7.62 but better accurcy and way better mags.
How does the cost per round compare for 300 blackout? In other words, for someone wanting a "cheap to shoot" AR for more regular plinking, is that really a good option compared to the 7.62x39 round with surplus and elcheapo Wolf ammo available? Or is 300 blackout more geared toward the AR owner wanting a bit more weight in his projectiles for better long range or hunting use?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #47
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A bit dusty here, but what the hay. Have there been any newer or better AR mags in 7.62 since the time of this thread's youth?

no. Its just the fact that the taper of the x39 round is too large and the magwell too deep.

How does the cost per round compare for 300 blackout? In other words, for someone wanting a "cheap to shoot" AR for more regular plinking, is that really a good option compared to the 7.62x39 round with surplus and elcheapo Wolf ammo available? Or is 300 blackout more geared toward the AR owner wanting a bit more weight in his projectiles for better long range or hunting use?

300 blk is more expensive and it too is a short range round. Your pushing a much heavier bullet with a worse bc than a 556 with the same powder. While it will hit harder it will start dropping like a rock much like the 762x39.
Answers in bold. A super cheap solution is to buy a upper or an ak chambered in 5.45x39. Super cheap plinking fun. It is a corrosive round in surplus cheap form. So if you go the upper route get a piston as the only advantage is keeping the salts in a contained area. Even soyou would need an easy to disassemble one. Personally for cheap corrosive plinking a cheap 4-500$ ak74 is the way to go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #48

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I believe it was mentioned before. There are x39 magazines on the market that will work reliably +/- in an AR. It took a little time but I finally received some.

Quote:
The 300BLK if I'm not mistaken was designed as a easily suppressible, heavier round to be shot out of a SBR at closer ranges and use existing/ readily available parts that the average person is familiar w/.

If you compare apples to apples, brass to brass off the shelf ammo the 300BLK is cheaper and better rounds are available. So for us who can't shoot bi-metal at out local indoor range the 300BLK is cheaper to shoot. Add the fact that it is softer shooting and has better ballistics it's a much better system.

And the idea of steel case 300BLK has been thrown around here lately. Fingers crossed.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
LLL, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, drop by the intro thread, say howdy, and introduce yerself.

In the meantime, the original poster asked his question in the summer of 2009. In keeping with time honored custom, you are now responsible for sending a birthday card to the thread. Cake is optional.
Haha I am really sorry I didn't see the date until after I posted.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Answers in bold. A super cheap solution is to buy a upper or an ak chambered in 5.45x39. Super cheap plinking fun. It is a corrosive round in surplus cheap form. So if you go the upper route get a piston as the only advantage is keeping the salts in a contained area. Even soyou would need an easy to disassemble one. Personally for cheap corrosive plinking a cheap 4-500$ ak74 is the way to go.
Just noticed that CDNN place has a S&W upper in 5.45x39mm for $500. That's for those who haaaave to have a AR that is cheaper to plink with. The price makes me think JonM is on the money regarding a AK74.

CDNN Sports, Inc. 2011-4 Catalog

Dead Bears, the only good kind.