Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sure. You just want 10 rifles? Ten rifles in that price range? Ten rifles that are semi auto? Or what?

I can do this all day long... LOL
Give me 10 in that price range. I don't like 7.62x39 so other 30 calibers would be great but if you need to stick with the thread's "caliber of choice", I understand.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Give me 10 in that price range. I don't like 7.62x39 so other 30 calibers would be great but if you need to stick with the thread's "caliber of choice", I understand.
Sorry. You lost me. Same price as the Dragonuv? Or same price as the 39mm chambered AR?

How about this, give me the price and platform you want ( bolt or semi auto ) and I will give you list....
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Same price range as the Dragonuv. Sorry, I'm in the middle of making twice baket potatoes.

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Well, that would be easy. A true Dragunov would probably go from $6K to $10K based on condition & accessory.

I will take the knock off, chinese copy, stamped receiver price of about $800 sans optics.

Fair?

Howa model 1500 in various calibers. For a true sniper round, you need something larger than .223 in my opinion. There are a ton of rifles there under $800 and you could have them glass bedded for $100 to improve accuracy even further....

Weatherby Vanguard same as the Howa, but you can get two levels of accuracy guaranteed. their basic package can be had for as little as $550 bucks and will shoot 1.5 MOA with factory ammo all day long, or they will replace it free. Their SUB-moa rifles are around $950 and will shoot .99 MOA or less, with factory ammo, or they will replace it free.

I could pick 5 rifles from each link and be done, but what fun would that be?

Remington 700 SPS this one is in .300 Win, which will do the job. $550 and you can spend $200 on a glass bed, a trigger job and new extractor. Still be under the $800 price tag....

Browning X Bolt is a good stick and already has a free floated barrel. A little more than $800, but you don't have to have it floated for accuracy.

Now, how about used rifles??

Any of the ones mentioned used would be just as good.

Find an old Winchester Model 70 at an estate sale or in someone's old man's war chest. Buy it. Those are God's own design and one of the best.

You can buy an action for $200 at a gun show from time to time. Maybe $300 if the guy really knows what he has got and has lapped the lugs for you.

Have your own rifle built on that platform.

Now, you want a semi auto in that price range??

Well, you got to wait until after dinner....

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, that would be easy. A true Dragunov would probably go from $6K to $10K based on condition & accessory.

I will take the knock off, chinese copy, stamped receiver price of about $800 sans optics.

Fair?

Howa model 1500 in various calibers. For a true sniper round, you need something larger than .223 in my opinion. There are a ton of rifles there under $800 and you could have them glass bedded for $100 to improve accuracy even further....

Weatherby Vanguard same as the Howa, but you can get two levels of accuracy guaranteed. their basic package can be had for as little as $550 bucks and will shoot 1.5 MOA with factory ammo all day long, or they will replace it free. Their SUB-moa rifles are around $950 and will shoot .99 MOA or less, with factory ammo, or they will replace it free.

I could pick 5 rifles from each link and be done, but what fun would that be?

Remington 700 SPS this one is in .300 Win, which will do the job. $550 and you can spend $200 on a glass bed, a trigger job and new extractor. Still be under the $800 price tag....

Browning X Bolt is a good stick and already has a free floated barrel. A little more than $800, but you don't have to have it floated for accuracy.

Now, how about used rifles??

Any of the ones mentioned used would be just as good.

Find an old Winchester Model 70 at an estate sale or in someone's old man's war chest. Buy it. Those are God's own design and one of the best.

You can buy an action for $200 at a gun show from time to time. Maybe $300 if the guy really knows what he has got and has lapped the lugs for you.

Have your own rifle built on that platform.

Now, you want a semi auto in that price range??

Well, you got to wait until after dinner....
Call me Hathcock! I still want an early model 70!!
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divinginn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 207
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

How do the ars in 7.62x39 function using steel cased cartridges? I have seen very little brass cased rounds and what I have found is about 1 dollar a round,also I am having a hard time finding used brass.

__________________
divinginn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Call me Hathcock! I still want an early model 70!!
You mean a tried and true, pre-64' Winchester Model 70??

Like the one in my signature line?

Just let me know when you get serious. We will build you a good one.

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cory2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryville,Tennessee
Posts: 575
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I assume when you reference "russian super technology" you are refering(sp?) to the 7n14 which is a round that can go through the interceptor vest INCLUDING ballistic plate with one round which is something no round ever can do out of an AR10 or AR 15 ever ever ever without many rounds being fired. It is also a round that is capable of way below 1 moa and HAS DONE SO out of the dragonuv... because that was the gun it was designed for. I believe the last time I read about the round it was being fired from a dragunov and was hitting <.9 moa.

Here is alot more information about the round that makes the rifle so to speak.
Snipers Paradise

__________________
Cory2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Memphis.,TN
Posts: 240
Default

Succinct. Welcome to the club. I'm also a very late-bloomer with guns (now two years' worth of constant shooting).

Ammo prices helped me decide to buy both the Mini 30 (a really over-priced rifle type, but lots of fun) and SKS. This factor also led to my LEs due to very lucky breaks with scarce cheap surplus, (former) Mini 14 and MNs. The AR's price was too much for my needs and wanted guns which are much easier to clean.
Some business now sells rear sights for the SKS which really lengthens the sight distance, and a recoil pad adds enough length to the short stock.

AIM now sells non-corrosive Tula for $200/1,000. Should you decide on this caliber rifle, the timing for ammo also looks much better than last spring/summer.

A local gun show ($10 entry) allows you to save about $60+, as no shipping/FFL fees are added on: and often no info is recorded or stored by individual sellers. You can buy from a guy standing in line...."What ( cash) is in your wallet?" Our modest shows always have a few SKS, typical Norincos and sometimes also a "Paratrooper", not to mention the WASR AKs etc. Compare the feel of levers, safeties on the SKS and AK.

As a civilian, would a self-defense situation against people (versus an animal) be difficult to explain at much over 50 yards?

__________________

Last edited by Laufer; 10-20-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Laufer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

It appears your post was highjacked, just joined today. Why no AR in 7.62x39? Well there are some, not that popular though.

The reason as I see it is because of weight, the 7.62x39 is basically a 30 cal bullet (.310, .311, .312). While the length of the bullet is shorter and weight lighter than the .308 (130 to 180 grains) and the 7.62x39 = 124 grains, 223 = 55 grains, this type of bullet requires a heavier barrel and beefed up receiver to take the punishment, it increases the weight of the rifle and ammo you must carry.

Most AR 's will weigh in between 6 to 7 lbs, 7.62x39 (AKs & SKS) closer to 9 to 10 lbs and the same number of rounds for 7.62 will be heavier too.

I own one AR and two 7.62x39, the AR I use for varmint and the Mini-30 and SKS for SD.

Just remember both type are not long range rifles, eventhough the 223 is used in long range matches, but you have to be one heck of a shot to adjust for 20 or 30 inches of bullet drop.

Good luck
Jim

__________________

Last edited by bigjim; 10-28-2009 at 03:15 AM.
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
PERFECT cleaning rod that actually works trailrider General Shotgun Discussion 13 09-01-2009 03:36 PM
Secrets to a perfect relationship: Jo da Plumbr The Club House 7 06-04-2009 02:04 PM
Why Heller Was the Perfect Case in the Perfect Place BigO01 Legal and Activism 1 06-30-2008 10:16 AM