Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle? - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Why isn't a 7.62x39 AR the Perfect Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 249 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Man this is a thread that will not die!
Maybe a mod will play taps for it.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #102

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Until recently there was a magazine problem but Rock River has overcome this problem with a lower that takes AK magazines. Due to recent Congressional anti-gun hysteria production hasn't started as they are trying to fill regular AR-15 quotas but the new LAR-47 will be the answer for those of us who love the AR platform but want the extra up close punch of the 7.62x39.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 558

Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #103

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

After my earlier reply to this post last summer I purchased a Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper in November that I use with my M&P-15 (5.56) lower. It came with two 26 round magazines from Bushy - both made by Ammunition Storage Components aka ASC - and is sold as a complete upper assembly directly through Bushmasters web site, though I got mine at a local gun show for less than the MSRP of $799. It has a 16" 4150 chrome-moly steel w/chrome-lined bore/chamber with a 1 in 9 twist along with the usual AR upper extras (handle, sights, hider, dust cover, etc). I've put about 150 rds through the gun and have experienced no failures or feeding problems. From what I've read it's the magazine that is the weak link with the AR when it comes to firing the 7.62x39 round, but mine have worked fine. I ordered several more mags from BM soon after I got the upper but I'm on the waiting list since mags are at a premium these days.

I've cut back my shooting in the past few months due to ammo being both scarce and expensive since the holidays, but from my limited experience shooting the gun the Bushy upper is well made, tight fitting and able to shoot 2" groups at 100 yds with factory sights. I like it. It seems I now have the best of both worlds and if the price ever comes back down and availability goes back up, I may just get a second one... or maybe a 300 blackout!

7.62upper.png  

Last edited by rachilders; 02-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #104

Default Sks

Every one has been mentioning the AK have u looked at the SKS? I own one i like the wood stock but i like it so much im buyin a 2nd to have the synthetic stock and all the tactical gear put on it... Its a very nice acurate and reliable rifle chambered in the 7.6x39

Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #105

This thread is like the turd that won't flush; it just seems to keep popping back up.

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #106

Liked 2215 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have no clue why it keeps popping up either. Right now we have a zillion calibers that someone thought was the perfect caliber. The OP was answered in the first couple responses.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #107
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6337 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have no clue why it keeps popping up either. .
its part of the admin's secret plan.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its part of the admin's secret plan.
So you are officially blaming this on Obama??

Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #109

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

UPDATE: During my last post in this thread almost a year ago to the day I mentioned I like the 7.62x39 and have a Bushmaster AR in that caliber. I also said I'd get an upper (or complete rifle) in 300 AAC if I got the funds and could find one. Well, I got that upper in 300 Blackout during the holidays and love it! My new fun gun is made by Diamondback. Bullet and handling characteristics are similar to the AK round, just a bit more accurate (at least in my gun) beyond 50 yards plus it has the advantage of using the same 5.56 mags as my other ARs. You can also get heavier weight, sub sonic bullets in 200 grain plus sizes that you don't find in a 7.62X39. On the down side, the ammo for the AAC is twice (minimum) as expensive as the AK stuff and MUCH harder to find, especially the sub sonic rounds.

All in all, the 300 AAC seems to have found that perfect balance between the AK and AR rounds, offering the best of both worlds with the Blackout being more flexible and reliable in an AR style rifle. OTOH, the 7.62x39 is hands down the most affordable and available of the two rounds and with the correct magazines, is very reliable in an AR.

For now, my choice would the 7.62x39 if the world as we know it ends and the zombies take control (it's already happening in Washington) due to availability and price. For hunting and other uses where you need fewer rounds on target and better performance, I'd use the 300 Blackout. Both calibers have strong pros and cons and only time will tell who the ultimate last man standing will be.

Last edited by rachilders; 02-28-2014 at 02:49 PM.
orangello Likes This