Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > when you buy a gun in a store

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

You are not required to keep records.

There is no way for them to know if you are truthful when you tell them that you sold it to a great big Indian with a long, red beard, or a little one eyed black guy, or a Klingon warrior.

Or you traded it for that sweet old coondawg on the porch.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #52

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks for the information Silverado.

personally, my mailing address and physical address are the same, so for me it's a no-brainer! just wantd to ask the question as i was curious and it migh help someone else out.
In the end it's up to the dealer and some won't accept a utility bill even though it's okay to do according to the ATF.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19561 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
You are not required to keep records.

There is no way for them to know if you are truthful when you tell them that you sold it to a great big Indian with a long, red beard, or a little one eyed black guy, or a Klingon warrior.

Or you traded it for that sweet old coondawg on the porch.
hey, i like sweet old coondawgs!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #54

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

so on the federal level, a CCW holder has already gone through the required background checks and can walk in and buy any weapon without the forms or dealer calling a background check?

that's interesting that the Feds will allow that, although some states don't.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was buying a new handgun. Did I want to present my CCW license and see if I could skip all that? or just go through the same checks as anyone else.

I decided that part of being a CCW holder means to not broadcast to everyone that you're a CCW holder, even if you're "among friends" in a gun store, so I made no mention of holding a license, and just filled out the paperwork like any other schmuck in the store.

As I continued to think about it, what if I had gone through all the checks and acquired my CCW permit, but then 2 years later, committed some crime, I might fail a NICS check, but still hold the permit, no?

On a side note, what I saw and heard while in the gun store was actually somewhat scarey. the kinds of questions people were asking, it was painfully obvious that it was their first time ever in a gun store, and first time ever buying a weapon, and that they had absolutely no idea about weapons or safe weapons handling, or ANY kind of experience around weapons. Now, god bless them for deciding to arm themselves, but holy crap, it's scarey to think that these people who don't know anything about guns, with no experience whatsoever about guns, are buying guns as fast as they can.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #55

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383
so on the federal level, a CCW holder has already gone through the required background checks and can walk in and buy any weapon without the forms or dealer calling a background check?

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was buying a new handgun. Did I want to present my CCW license and see if I could skip all that? or just go through the same checks as anyone else.

I decided that part of being a CCW holder means to not broadcast to everyone that you're a CCW holder, even if you're "among friends" in a gun store, so I made no mention of holding a license, and just filled out the paperwork like any other schmuck in the store.

As I continued to think about it, what if I had gone through all the checks and acquired my CCW permit, but then 2 years later, committed some crime, I might fail a NICS check, but still hold the permit, no?

On a side note, what I saw and heard while in the gun store was actually somewhat scarey. the kinds of questions people were asking, it was painfully obvious that it was their first time ever in a gun store, and first time ever buying a weapon, and that they had absolutely no idea about weapons or safe weapons handling, or ANY kind of experience around weapons. Now, god bless them for deciding to arm themselves, but holy crap, it's scarey to think that these people who don't know anything about guns, with no experience whatsoever about guns, are buying guns as fast as they can.
The gun shop I go to runs a check every time for that reason. He says the state is so flooded with new applications that they can't keep up with the checking of current holders.

I've also seen him tell people that they have to comeback because he can't get thru to get approved for a purchase if they don't seem responsible. Says he has refused people for being complete idiots, but haven't seen that first hand.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

FWIW- there are SOME state CCWs that substitute for NICS. Some do not. If you need a list of the states that DO- it is on line in the ATF stuff. Exercise your Google-fu.

Yes, NICS gets backed up- especially lately, with the flood of new buyers. Yes, dealer can refuse a sale. Including if he thinks you are a twit.

As far as stupid questions in a gun shop- what a GREAT place to ask them! If you have a good gun shop. It is called bonding with your future customers, customer service, etc.

We also also some pretty damed dumb questions here. Rarely do we tell the person asking it that it is a dumb question. Don't discourage people from seeking information.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #57

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post

You can also comitt a crime 10 minutes after passing a NICS check as well. So does NICS really prevent someone from committing a crime with a firearm? 99% of my customers hold secret clearances so I'll take my chances with them.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #58

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hoss are forming a pattern here??

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #59

Iowa if you have ccw they don't have to call in the check still have to do the paper work it is nice just go in buy what u want hand your permit over to dealer and right the number on papers then on your way home

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #60
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
And the BATF has stormed into some gun shops demanding to copy the forms.
What? ATF does not HAVE to "storm" into an FFL to get the info. They can go during normal business hours and look at the 4473's all they want. Why ould you want to inflame the situation like that? "Oh no, here come the jackbooted thugs". Get over your self

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
But the thing is, if the paper trail stops at your door, YOU will probably be held responsible.....
And exactly how are you "going to be held responsible"? If you sell a car and it later turns up plowed into a crowd of people, they are going to charge you with leaving the scene of an accident? WTH to you come up with this crap? Stop posting out of the side of your neck and get real. Deliberately inflaming a situation with exaggeration is a characteristic of troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Glad it worked out. But COULD they make a federal case out of it if they wanted to?
And what "Federal case" are they going to make? Once again trollish behavior.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball